Ben Benson's Reviews > The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice

The Missionary Position by Christopher Hitchens

Sep 09, 2011

Read from September 09 to 20, 2011

I kept making some excuses of Mother Teresa while reading this book, questioning whether she really deserved this attack or not. Then, Mr. Hitchen's wrote that he approached the topic by judging her based on her actions and words and letting that define how he viewed her rather than basing his view on the myth around her and adjusting her words and actions to the myth and I realize I was doing the later of the two. I was letting the societal notion/image of her hold more weight than her words and actions.

Overall, I would really need to study her more, get another view point on her, but Hitchen's does offer a good critique. I am sure she's done some very good things for people, and I think she also has done some things that hurt people. She's done more on both sides of the scale than I have probably done. Her good or at least her effort to do good (as she saw it, based on her religious perspective) is more than I have done for others, but her approach it appears seems to not be how I or Mr. Hitchen's would have undertaken things.

Again, in the end I would need more than this one man's opinion to make a case for her. good or bad, but she doesn't deserve Sainthood.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Missionary Position.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Gray They really thought that was a good title for a Mother Teresa book?!

message 1: by Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ben Benson It's an attack on her, so... yeah, he did. HAHA.