Dawn Keys's Reviews > Juana & Lucas

Juana & Lucas by Juana Medina

bookshelves: children-s-literature
Read 2 times. Last read July 23, 2017.

Juana and Lucas is a contemporary realistic fiction work written by Juana Medina for young readers ages 5-8. I was excited to add this to my library collection because we don’t have a lot of early chapter books that depict characters from South America. This book also received the Pura Belpre Award.

The protagonist in this story is a Juana, a young girl that is not a fan of school and learning English. She loves her family, her dog, and her favorite class at school is recess, so she can play futbol. The story deals with the struggles she goes through with understanding why she should learn English. Eventually, she is influenced by her Grandfather and finds out she can go to Spaceland in the U.S. if she learns English, so she becomes motivated.

Juana Medina is an author and an illustrator, so this book is filled with lots of beautiful pictures. It isn’t set up like a traditional chapter book. It infuses the words with the illustrations. I think that makes it interesting for children. The author also includes many Spanish words through out the text. The words are easy enough to figure out through the context of the story. I think this would appeal to bilingual students. The main character is also relatable to those students who are learning English as another language.

I gave this 4 stars instead of 5 because I would have liked to see a little more plot development. Overall I enjoyed the book and I liked Juana as a character. I look forward to seeing how the series will develop.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Juana & Lucas.

Finished Reading