Challice Neipp's Reviews > A Lesson in Love and Murder

A Lesson in Love and Murder by Rachel McMillan

This was my first Herringford and Watts Mysteries. Fun and charming. I love the fact that it was not filled with vulgar language. A refreshing read! If you like the Murdock Mysteries, I think you will enjoy these lady sleuths. I really enjoyed the references to Sherlock Holmes, The Canadian Mountie handbook, and even some appearances of Godfrey's Book. The book takes place in Canada as well as Chicago. Since this was the first book I read but the second book in the series, I found it difficult to keep the characters straight. If I am correct, there are three lady detectives and 2 male protagonists that are known to the reader. Then there is an introduction of a third male in his quest for finding his brother who may be behind the attacks and bombings connecting to Emma Goldman rally's. There is a consistent use of a * to denote a note for the reader at the end of the page that gives you some information about a characters behavior, pattern of behavior, or possibly a reference to a previous book/case, and it can be kind of distracting at times. I do not know the publish date for this work. I found a note I had written to myself with the title of this book on it and from there requested it from my public library. It did have a dated feel, in the truest sense, and that was one of the things I love best about it. I was walking alongside the characters in the dirty streets, sharing a cup of tea in the heat of the afternoon, and hiding in the shadows among my disguises. I love it when a story can wrap you in and you do not feel disconnected from it at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Lesson in Love and Murder.

Finished Reading