Debra Martin's Reviews > An Earl for the Archeress

An Earl for the Archeress by E. Elizabeth Watson

I enjoyed this retelling of the Robin Hood story. Mariel Crawford runs away from her cruel father when he promises her hand to an old Earl, who like her father, thinks there's nothing wrong with using his fists to keep a woman in line. Problem is when she ran, she has no coin, so she uses her archery skill in a tournament, hoping to win the purse. Her main adversary is Robert, Earl of Huntington. He's intrigued with the "lad" matching him arrow for arrow. When the competition is given to Robert unfairly, Mariel runs again, but Robert realizes the lad is actually a woman. The rest of the story is Robert trying to convince her that he's not like her abusive father. Back and forth these two go while Robert takes on his alter-ego to steal from the cruel Sheriff of Nottingham.

The author does a good job of letting the reader into Mariel's and Robert's inner thinking, but I did get a little tired of Mariel running away at the slightest provocation. Fans of historical fiction and fairy tale retellings will enjoy this book.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Earl for the Archeress.

Finished Reading