Melanie's Reviews > The Stone Sky

The Stone Sky by N.K. Jemisin

bookshelves: buddy-reads, dystopian, fantasy, lgbtqiap, read-in-2017, sci-fi, arc, own-voices

ARC provided by Hachette in exchange for an honest review.

1.) The Fifth Season ★★★★★
2.) The Obelisk Gate ★★★★

“Some worlds are built on a fault line of pain, held up by nightmares. Don't lament when those worlds fall. Rage that they were built doomed in the first place.”

You guys, I’m speechless. I’m not sure if I’ve ever read as perfect of a conclusion as The Stone Sky. The Stone Sky easily makes my best of 2017 list, and is also without a doubt one of the most powerful masterpieces I’ve ever read in my entire life. I will cherish this book series until the end of my days, while also trying to convince every single living soul to give this series a shot. Please give The Fifth Season a shot. It is worth more than every ounce of hype and praise it has received. I recommend this series to any and everyone I know. Not just SFF lovers, hell, not even just book lovers; I recommend this to every human being. And I dare you to finish this series, turn that last page, and not feel the urge to change this ugly world we live in today.

This series is a SFF dystopian, where earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, and other terrible things impacting the earth are constantly happening, but orogenes are able to manipulate the earth to ease them. Even though orogenes are continually saving the world they are constantly oppressed slaves. This world has convinced everyone that orogenes are dangerous and need to be controlled at all costs. Everyone in the Stillness is trying to survive the world's unforgiving environment. This planet is beyond unstable, because of Fifth Seasons. Two years have passed since The Fifth Season and in this concluding book our main characters are looking for a way to stop the Seasons once and for all.

“They’re afraid because we exist, she says, There’s nothing we did to provoke their fear, other than exist. There’s nothing we can do to earn their approval, except stop existing—so we can either die like they want, or laugh at their cowardice and go on with our lives.”

The greatest thing about this series is that it seamlessly mirrors the world we live in today. This book will make you think about your internalized racism and the prejudices that you hold without even realizing it. I mean, look at what is going on in the United States right now. Look at how we are allowing actual Nazis free hate speech. Look who we elected, because people’s hearts were filled with so much hate. Look how we are trying to protect confederate statues, while allowing our government to bulldoze native sites for pipelines. Hate is a powerful force, and white supremacy is real. Charlottesville is happening all over our world, and we don’t need orogeny to stop it, either.

“But for a society built on exploitation, there is no greater threat than having no one left to oppress.”

I wrote in my review for The Obelisk Gate that the heart of this novel is oppression, but the soul of this novel is motherhood, and I stand by this assessment even more so. Again, I’m not a mother, but the underlying theme of parenthood and the indescribable love between a mother and child is something so pure and beautiful. I can’t even begin to describe the feelings and emotions this book was able to evoke from me.

The constant messages and reminders of the importance of found families is also something that I appreciate with every bone in my body. I don’t want to keep using the word beautiful, but these messages that N.K. Jemisin has created are nothing short of the word beautiful. Blood is just that, blood, but choosing to spend your days with people who unconditionally love and support you is the true meaning of family.

Just thinking of the people who have followed Essun throughout her journey makes me weep from equal parts of joy and sadness. I loved seeing people love the broken parts of Essun, seeing her friends love the strong woman she always was all along, seeing her family choose to follow her to the end of the Earth.

“…if you love someone, you don’t get to choose how they love you back.”

And seeing the choices that Nassun made all by herself from both places of hurt and love just broke my heart. The choices we all make from being hurt or being loved is a discussion I could write pages and pages on. The feelings and emotions in this book are so very complex and the narrative only makes you feel everything intensified. Right now, as I’m writing this review, I’m equal parts heartbreak and hope.

“It’s just that love and hate aren’t mutually exclusive”

And the representation in this book is the best I’ve ever read in all my years. First off, this book is unapologetically and beautifully black. Next, N.K. Jemisin writes about systematic oppression expertly. Then, she also seamlessly writes in LGBT+ representation effortlessly. This book has the best written trans side character I’ve ever read about. I’ve said it before, and I’ll scream it from the rooftops again: every author should strive to write representation like N.K. Jemisin.

The writing is also exquisite. The prose is a tier above the rest. The narrative in unique and heartfelt. The world building is nothing short of perfection. The themes are relevant, important, and inspiring. The acknowledgments broke my heart. This series is truly a masterpiece.

This is one of the best stories I’ve ever read in my entire life. No amount of words I can write here is going to do it justice, so I can only ask, or beg, you to pick it up and see for yourself. Thank you, N.K. Jemisin, for this masterpiece. I will never stop moving forward, and I will never stop fighting for a better world.

“We could’ve all been safe and comfortable together, surviving together, but they didn’t want that. Now nobody gets to be safe. Maybe that’s what it will take for them to finally realize things have to change.”

Blog | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Youtube | Twitch

Buddy Read with Mary & Petrik

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stone Sky.

Quotes Melanie Liked

N.K. Jemisin
“I think,” Hoa says slowly, “that if you love someone, you don’t get to choose how they love you back.”
N.K. Jemisin, The Stone Sky

July 31, 2017 – Shelved as: arc
August 15, 2017 – Started Reading
August 20, 2017 – Finished Reading
April 5, 2018 – Shelved as: own-voices

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)

message 1: by ☽Luna☾ (new)

☽Luna☾ Enjoy ladies! What a gorgeous cover 😍

Melanie ☽Luna☾ wrote: "Enjoy ladies! What a gorgeous cover 😍"

Thank you, beautiful! We will! And hopefully Petrik joins in on the fun, too! One day me and you have to buddy read something, Sarah! ♥xx

Petrik graahhhh I want to join!!! but my copy will be late!! :'D hope you and Mary enjoy this one too!

Melanie Petrik wrote: "graahhhh I want to join!!! but my copy will be late!! :'D hope you and Mary enjoy this one too!"

Obviously you need to fly to the States upon release, love! 😉 But it's okay, at least we have The Obelisk Gate together! 💗xx

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Man Melanie I am so very happy for you (and a little jealous!) that you got an ARC of this!! That's such amazing news!! Girl if you plan on going ahead and reading it before the release date it's ok with me! I'll be right behind you on the 15th! 😭❤️

Melanie Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "Man Melanie I am so very happy for you (and a little jealous!) that you got an ARC of this!! That's such amazing news!! Girl if you plan on going ahead and reading it before the release date it's o..."

You should totally request it still, Mary! Orbit is like THE BEST when it comes to ARCs! Also, NO WAY, I am totally waiting for you! I wouldn't ruin my first buddy read with you for anything in this world! 💗😘

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Haha I would Melanie! But I don't think I could even read the physical copy right now if I had it! I'm drowning in my SPBFO reads! 😭 so I must wait for my preorder of the audio book to release! Omg look at you you're literally an angel on this planet *hugs* ❤️💜😘💜❤️

Mayim de Vries Oh I'm stoned with envy. Pun not intended. Also, I'm mooning. Seriously.

Melanie Mayim wrote: "Oh I'm stoned with envy. Pun not intended. Also, I'm mooning. Seriously."

LOL, Mayim! And happy release day, love! 💗xo

message 10: by Caleb (new)

Caleb M. You are biddy reading with a couple of my favorite people!!! I hope you guys have fun and look forward to all of your guys reviews :)

Melanie Caleb wrote: "You are biddy reading with a couple of my favorite people!!! I hope you guys have fun and look forward to all of your guys reviews :)"

They are my favorites, too! I am so blessed! Thank you, Caleb! 💗xx

Mayim de Vries Melanie I devoured the book already and loved it to the earth core and back again. I hope you will be equally awed.

Melanie Mayim wrote: "Melanie I devoured the book already and loved it to the earth core and back again. I hope you will be equally awed."

I just finished and I am at a loss for words. What perfection. I don't even know how I'm going to be able to write a review that will do this conclusion even an ounce of justice! ❤xx

Mayim de Vries I hear you sister!

message 15: by Choko (new) - added it

Choko It is not fair! I am reading the sixth Malazan and have promised myself not to read anything else until I finish it... This book will be the first thing I tackle, but I wish I was reading it now!!!😧

Melanie Choko wrote: "It is not fair! I am reading the sixth Malazan and have promised myself not to read anything else until I finish it... This book will be the first thing I tackle, but I wish I was reading it now!!!😧"

Hehe, too many books and always too little time, Choko! But I hope you love it when you get to it! Happy reading, love! ❤ xx

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  !!! A review worthy of the book, going by your praise :)

Petrik Eon ♒Windrunner♒ wrote: "!!! A review worthy of the book, going by your praise :)"

Fantastic review love!! Your review really did the book justice! :)

Melanie Eon ♒Windrunner♒ wrote: "!!! A review worthy of the book, going by your praise :)"

You are just too sweet, Eon! 💗xx

Melanie Petrik wrote: "Eon ♒Windrunner♒ wrote: "!!! A review worthy of the book, going by your praise :)"

Fantastic review love!! Your review really did the book justice! :)"

Thank you, handsome! And thank you so much for another amazing buddy read! 💗xx

message 21: by Irene (new)

Irene Sim An inspiring review Mel! You have such a unique way with words. xo

Queen Your review is beautiful!!!

Melanie Irene wrote: "An inspiring review Mel! You have such a unique way with words. xo"

Thank you so much, Irene! You are so very kind. 💗xx

Melanie Princess wrote: "Your review is beautiful!!!"

Thank you so much! It means so much coming from you! 💗xx

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Omg GORGEOUS review Melanie! I love it, you are so insightful! So glad to have read this with you & Petrik what an amazing book & conclusion!

Justine (Milkz) I finally caved in and purchased the Fifth season because of your review lol.

Melanie Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "Omg GORGEOUS review Melanie! I love it, you are so insightful! So glad to have read this with you & Petrik what an amazing book & conclusion!"

Thank you so much, love! I feel so blessed to have read this with you and Petrik! I cannot wait for our next buddy read this weekend! 💖xx

Melanie Justine (Pep In Your Step) wrote: "I finally caved in and purchased the Fifth season because of your review lol."

Those are the kindest words anyone could ever write to me, Justine! Thank you so much, and I hope you love it! I can't wait to read your review once you're finished! 💖xo

message 29: by Haïfa (last edited Aug 22, 2017 05:10AM) (new) - added it

Haïfa Breathtaking review Mel ! The quotes you chose were brilliant and very moving ! <333

Melanie Haïfoun wrote: "Breathtaking review Mel ! The quotes you chose were brilliant and very moving ! <333"

Thank you so much, Haïfoun! This series is so power, I could probably just highlight the whole entire book, haha. 💖xx

message 31: by Candace (new)

Candace Fantastic review, Melanie! :)

Melanie Candace wrote: "Fantastic review, Melanie! :)"

Awh, thank you so much, Candace! 💖xx

message 33: by Isis (new) - rated it 5 stars

Isis Smith I just finished this series. LOVED It. I have nothing else to say because I'm still processing.

Melanie Isis wrote: "I just finished this series. LOVED It. I have nothing else to say because I'm still processing."

Yeah, Isis, this is for sure a once in a lifetime series. A lot of books have perfect scenes, but these three books were just all perfect in their entirety. I'm so happy you loved it, too! 🍂🎃💛xx

message 35: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia McIvers I read the 5th Season, how did I not realize there is more???

Melanie Sylvia wrote: "I read the 5th Season, how did I not realize there is more???"

You are in for a treat, Sylvia! Happy reading, love! 💗xx

message 37: by Scarlett (new)

Scarlett You convinced me with your first paragraph, although I promised myself to be extra selective this year with TBR shelf :)! Great review!

Melanie Scarlett wrote: "You convinced me with your first paragraph, although I promised myself to be extra selective this year with TBR shelf :)! Great review!"

Awh, thank you, Scarlett. This book (and the entire series) is honestly perfection. Happy reading, love. 💗xx

message 39: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I'm on pg32 of The Stone Sky and have no idea what's happening! I finished The Obelisk Gate about a year ago. Is my brain addled? Do I push on? Or do I go back to the last few chapters of book 2? Thanks 😐

Michael Great review of an amazing book!

message 41: by Mimi (new) - added it

Mimi This is the series I want to read!

message 42: by drEADS_alot (last edited Aug 22, 2018 09:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

drEADS_alot I've been keeping an eye on the reviews for this since the first book was released; so many series start strong and just die out along the way. Now, reading your review, it seems the series isn't just hype . . . it's like 'for real'. Now I just need to find the time to get started on it.

Thanks for the review!

Melanie Michael wrote: "Great review of an amazing book!"

Awh, thank you so very much, Michael love! I hope you're currently having happy reading! 💖xx

Melanie Mimi wrote: "This is the series I want to read!"

I want you to read it so bad, Mimi! Hehehe! But I hope whatever you're currently reading is five star worthy, beautiful! 💖xx

Melanie drEADS_alot wrote: "I've been keeping an eye on the reviews for this series the first book was released; so many series start strong and just die out along the way. Now, reading your review, it seems the series isn't ..."

Awh, thank you for your kind words! It really is a once in a lifetime series! I hope you're having happy reading! 💖xx

message 46: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex Liking your review because I used the same exact quotation at the start of my review, which is as glowing as yours - so incredible