Rachael's Reviews > Rosemarked

Rosemarked by Livia Blackburne

Jul 24, 2017

bookshelves: read-as-an-arc, fantasy, favorites, romance, recs-strong-women, five-star, underrated-standalones, i-feel-so-blessed-hot-diggity-dog, worth-the-hype, rep-poc, rep-mental-illness, otp, covers-that-could-murder-me
Read 2 times. Last read June 4, 2018 to June 14, 2018.

update 6/14/18
have I mentioned that mehtap is my favorite character in this book and probably one of my favorite secondary characters of all time

well let's establish that as a fact

AND NOW I GET TO READ UMBERTOUCHED OMGG

4.5

When I picked up this book, I thought it was going to be another cliche, poorly plotted fantasy novel with an unoriginal and badly written romance.

I was wrong.

So, so wrong.

I wasn't expecting what Rosemarked actually is: a political fantasy novel dealing with the ethics of healing, spying, tyranny, and radicalized patriotism with remarkable world-building, beautifully written and flawed characters, and a slow-burn romance that was enjoyable to read and didn't feel at all forced.

Zivah is a lot of what made this book for me. Her internal struggles dealing with her status of a healer and using that status and her medicines for harm were surprisingly poignant and very realistic. She is SO dynamic and her friendship with Mehtap is so sweet.

Dineas was a little bit of a brooder, but, unlike most "brooders," he definitely wasn't the typical deep angst love interest in most YA novels nowadays. He has PTSD and struggles a lot, but still is able to forge connections with people. I absolutely hate the "male love interest seems like a bad guy and he doesn't treat the main female character well but twist! he is a good person and a good guy" trope that seems so prevalent in YA fiction nowadays (it perpetuates rape culture and the 'not all men' movement, which makes me want to barf), and at first I thought that Dineas would fit that trope. However, I was very pleasantly surprised to see that he didn't. He is a well-rounded, fleshed out character who loves his family and friends. He is working hard to get back into the world after suffering for many years. I went from liking him to not being his biggest fan to liking him again. I look forward to see where his character goes next.

I am always a sucker for well-written YA fantasy, and this is the best one I've read since the False Prince trilogy. I am highly excited to see where this series goes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rosemarked.

July 22, 2017 – Started Reading
January 31, 2018 – Shelved as: covers-that-could-murder-me
June 4, 2018 – Started Reading
June 4, 2018 –
page 0
0.0% "oh my gOD I GOT THE ARC FOR UMBERTOUCHED I need to brush up on a few things tho so REREAD FIRST"
June 4, 2018 –