Veronique Krüger's Reviews > City of Skies

City of Skies by Farah Cook

it was ok

Disappointing

This is a book I would love to give 4 stars to, but I can't because of reasons I'll go into later. No real spoilers, just vague references.

WHAT I LIKED:

The story, characters, and world have so much potential. I was really intrigued from the beginning - it's a pretty unique (in my opinion) take on topics that other popular books touch on. It also successfully combines elements from several genres, which is difficult to do well. The training was cool to read about. Overall the plot, direction of the story, and characters are interesting and intriguing.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:

The issues with this book can be summed up by two things:

1. Not enough editing
2. Flat writing

It's littered with typos, missing or unnecessary punctuation, minor grammar errors, and run on sentences. Words were often used incorrectly or repetitively. The author appears to have forgotten the name of one of the Viking races and it changes from Vandal to another V-name (it escapes me at the moment) at some point. All of this is more than enough to constantly pull me out of the story.

The descriptions are choppy and uninteresting. Things happen so quickly that I had to go back and reread things several times to grasp what was going on. The pacing was off. The characters sometimes behaved inconsistently.

Sometimes Nora, the main character, would ramble on about how clever and talented and gifted she was, and honestly it just made her a little irritating to me. The writing is also repetitive - I didn't count how many times I had to read about how gifted Nora is, how peculiar Frederick is, or the different Raiding Dynasties, but it was a lot.

To sum up, this book has tons of potential but it reads like a first or second draft and it needs a LOT more work with regard to content, world building, writing, and editing. I don't think I'll be reading the sequel when it comes out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Skies.

July 22, 2017 – Started Reading