Noel's Reviews > Road to Tater Hill

Road to Tater Hill by Edith M. Hemingway

F 50x66

I really liked this book because the characters were easy to get to know.It reminded me how things have changed so much in just under 50 years. It is a good book to read with a middle school girl and talk about the issues. In fact the book makes for much richer reading if you have the background of the social norms at the time.

It was not until the late 60's early 70's that premature babies had a high survival rate. Now we grieve as a community, but the back then it was a hushed up matter. Children were not included in the grieving process as they are now. Mother's were discouraged from seeing their dead children. Mothers were oftened viewed as a failure to not be able to bring a child to term. As I read this book it really brought home to me that Jackie Kennedy not only had to face grief once in front of a nation, but twice in a just 4 months.

Shock treatments were used up to the late 60's to treat patients who did not respond to other therapies. This is another subject that was largely dealt with shame and as " a family matter" in the 60's. The stigma of this treatment was immense on a family. In fact it was the political campaign of McGovern/ Eagleston that helped bring it to the open as people debated if a person treated with ECT was capable of stepping in to run a country. It was in 70's that more openess and acceptance really started to grow. While researching this topic I was surprised to see articles on this therpay making a comeback in 2009/2010. Guess we will have to wait and see how that goes.

Spousal abuse opions have also changed dramatically in the same time frame. I seriously doubt today that she would have been convicted.

This is a book about struggling to make sense in a world gone upside down on you. Annie struggles first on her own and then with the help of friends and relatives. You have a sense of hope by the end of the book that with time all will work out for the family.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Road to Tater Hill.

Finished Reading