06mirandah's Reviews > Birthmarked

Sep 09, 2011

Read from September 09 to November 07, 2011

Title: Birthmarked
Author: Caragh M. O'Brien

Summary: Birthmarked is about a girl name Gaia. Gaia is a mid-wife. Where Gaia lives, the first three babies of each month by each mid-wife must be taken to the Enclave, which is also called "inside of the walls". Once the babies are born, that have to be taken inside of the walls, they are given a birth mark.

Gaia's parents got arrested and Gaia was seperated from them. After Gaia finds out, she goes searching for her parents. She is able to find clues on how to find her family, along with people who are willing to help her. She begins to believe that everyone is an enemy, because she feels no one can be trusted. She then gets inside of the Enclave, and is taken captive. She meets people who have seen her parents, but no one knows where they are.

Gaia finds out that her parents are not together. She decides that if she finds one of her parents, they will know where the other is, but first she has to get out of the prison cell.

Rating: I would give this book a 5. I really enjoyed reading this book, and I also loved how Gaia and a lot of the other women in the story are strong, and independent.

Recommendation: If you like young adult literature, you will like this book. If you like mysteries, with a twist science fiction. I really liked this book because I like books that are about teens. I also love the books that you just can't put down, no matter what time it is at night, you just have to keep reading. If you like any of those things, then this is the book for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Birthmarked.