Kaje Harper's Reviews > Honeyed Words

Honeyed Words by J.A. Pitts

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy

This book is the sequel to Black Blade Blues and continues the urban fantasy adventures of Sarah Beauhall, blacksmith, lesbian, and repairer of an ancient sword... The series has some unique aspects, and there were things I definitely liked about the first book. For instance, I appreciated the fact that people got hurt and even killed battling the dragon (as opposed to the usual all-the-good-guys-survive.) Sarah is a great character and the segments which are narrated in her first person POV are the strongest in both books. Unfortunately in this book, there are even more switches of POV from Sarah to Katie, her girlfriend (not too bad,) and several other third person POV's (got annoying). The plot is more scattered than in Black Blade Blues and I spent the first half of the book trying to figure out which bits of action and narrative were central to the plot. It's not a bad book, but if it were more cleanly plotted and told straight through in Sarah's unique voice it could have been an excellent one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Honeyed Words.

September 9, 2011 – Started Reading