Hollis 's Reviews > Love, Hate & Other Filters

Love, Hate & Other Filters by Samira Ahmed

"Terrorism has no religion."

LOVE, HATE & OTHER FILTERS should probably be required reading. This is a story that is not just representing a Muslim character and her family, but unflinchingly setting them up against the backdrop of a terror event. Maya is already struggling against her family's wishes, structure, and expectations. She doesn't want to go to a local school and be a doctor, marry a man hand-picked by her parents. She wants to move away, have adventure, and record it all on film. But the dangers of the world, of being a target just for the colour of your skin, a shared last name, a religion, has the walls closing in on a future free of her own choices.

A meet-cute with the suitable Indian boy. The hot football player at my locker. [..] I was joking with myself earlier, but now I'm wondering how it's possible that I've stepped into the most predictable teen rom-com ever.

Ahmed also meshes these coming of age situations alongside some sweet YA romance. I'll admit that I did feel the love story got a little too much focus by the end of the book, despite introducing great characters in both love interests, but I thought the resolution was actually totally realistic and mature.

I'm scared of being the object of fear and loathing and suspicion again. Always.

Who am I to judge the truthfulness of the representation in this story. I can't. I enjoyed a lot of it, even if some of the parents' hypocrisy bothered me and they felt a little too typical for their role in the story. Between that and the heavier dose of romance, however, it did lose a little love from me the more I thought about it all. But nonetheless the story draws you in; Ahmed weaves in a dual narrative that keeps you breathless and on the edge of your seat even as the sweetness of Maya's life, her doubts and hopes and her teenage struggles, balance the scales. I would definitely recommend this -- even if it seems my rating is a little low. There's a lot of worth in this story and I look forward to more from this author.

3.5 "destiny is a bloodsucker, and not the swoony, sparkly vampire kind" stars

** I received an ARC from Edelweiss and the publisher (thank you!) in exchange for an honest review. **

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love, Hate & Other Filters.

July 21, 2017 – Shelved
January 2, 2018 – Shelved as: family-focused
January 2, 2018 – Shelved as: romance
January 2, 2018 – Shelved as: ya
January 2, 2018 –
31.0% "this is mostly sweet #ownvoices YA goodness but there's a thread woven through in the background that is probably going to poop all over this sunshine. it's terrifying for its realness."
January 2, 2018 – Shelved as: finished-in-january-2018
January 2, 2018 – Shelved as: not-all-the-feels-but-some
January 2, 2018 – Shelved as: own-voices
January 2, 2018 – Shelved as: hello-diversity
January 2, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

Bookphenomena (Micky) It sounds really interesting and worth the read. Great review. What is the country setting?

Hollis Kindling wrote: "It sounds really interesting and worth the read. Great review. What is the country setting?"

it's in America. Ilinois, I think it was.

Bookphenomena (Micky) I'm still interested. Great review.

Amanda I just got this book from my library on Sunday

message 5: by Bubu (last edited Jan 30, 2018 03:27PM) (new)

Bubu To read or not to read this. Hmmmm. I fear it may hit too close to home.

Nice review.

Hollis Amanda wrote: "I just got this book from my library on Sunday"

hope you enjoy!

Hollis Kindling wrote: "I'm still interested. Great review."

thanks darling.

Hollis Bubu wrote: "To read or not to read this. Hmmmm. I fear it may it may hit too close to home.

Nice review."

don't blame you at all for your hesitation, B. maybe one day!

message 9: by Bubu (new)

Bubu I'm always rather hesitant with books like this one. It took me a long while to read 'The Hate U Give' for example. This may sound awfully ignorant and shallow of me, but one look at the news and I'd rather bury myself under each and every Regency romance novel than read something more thought provoking. And there I really dislike Regency romance novels. Well, most of them anyway :)

Hollis Bubu wrote: "I'm always rather hesitant with books like this one. It took me a long while to read 'The Hate U Give' for example. This may sound awfully ignorant and shallow of me, but one look at the news and I..."

oh my goodness, not at all! you aren't alone in reading for that reason, or for picking up certain books to distract from the shitty world around you. not shallow at all. <3