Cathy Geha's Reviews > An Earl for the Archeress

An Earl for the Archeress by E. Elizabeth Watson

21182032

Romance set in 1190 with a twist on the Robin Hood theme sees Mariel and Robert tiptoeing around the best way to keep her safe from her abusive father who is not only set on taming her but also desirous of marrying her off to someone that will further his political aspirations. Robert and Mariel seem well matched in more ways than one BUT there are many things against them and the possibility of them spending time together in the future – whether or not they will conquer all is what this story is about. Well, it also introduces Rob’s band of merry men, Mariel’s sister, someone that has a thing for Mariel’s sister, some other women that may or may not show up in future books and a fun story to read set in the medieval time period. I did have a quibble or two about whether or not codpieces and corsets were actually in use in 1190 and even though I googled was not able to find out for sure…but the question did send me hunting for information.

What I liked:
* Both Mariel and Robert are strong in mind and body and willing to state their minds
* Mariel was willing to leave everything to get away from her father
* Both, though highborn, saw the needs of those less fortunate
* Everything was not easy for the two of them
* The side characters were intriguing
* I wondered who the next book in the series would be about
* The writing style
* The villains were heinous and deserved their comeuppance
* The camaraderie of Robert and his followers

What I didn’t like:
* Mariel always haring off like a rabbit when afraid
* Mariel’s lack of trust in Robert although it might be reasonable considering her past
* Her sister’s choice at the end of the book (unless she stars in the next book and all works out well for her)

Thank you to NetGalley and Entangled Publishing for the ARC – This is my honest review.

4.5 Stars
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Earl for the Archeress.

July 19, 2017 – Started Reading