Sara Codair's Reviews > Fortitude Smashed

Fortitude Smashed by Taylor Brooke

Aug 11, 2017

bookshelves: lgbtq

Disclaimers: I got a free copy of this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. I don’t usually read romance.

I generally won’t pick up a book if I know it is just romance, but the speculative element of Fortitude Smashed, the Camilla Clock, got me curious. The opening was perfect -- it had interesting characters, plenty of tension, and just enough world building to show this world was like the real with one slight difference -- the clock that timed out when people met their soulmates.

The characters were complex and fluid. The prose were gorgeous. In fact, the description was so well done that it almost made me want to go to Laguna Beach, even though the southern parts of california are on my list places to avoid (its a pretty long list).

My favorite parts of the book were the ones with the most tension -- when Aiden and Shannon’s past selves collided. However, I did feel like there weren’t enough of these, like it was too easy for Aiden to stop being a thief. Sometimes I got a little bored with all the kissing and biting, and would’ve rather seen a little more cop work and stealing (or trying not to steal).

The other area the writing shined was in the parts of the book showcasing friendships. They were real, raw, and emotional.

If you like romance, literary, and/or science fiction, then I recommend reading this. It’s lyrical and successfully crosses two genres. I’m glad I read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fortitude Smashed.

July 20, 2017 – Started Reading
August 6, 2017 –
August 7, 2017 –
August 10, 2017 –
August 10, 2017 –
70.0% "I've made this book last a few days, but I suspect I will be finishing it tonight."
August 11, 2017 – Finished Reading