Maria's Reviews > My Lady Jane

My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand

bookshelves: historical-fiction, fantasy

Oh my, I enjoyed this book so much! I read The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue last month and I can see why it was compared to My Lady Jane. Both books are set in historical Europe, have fun playing around with history, and are hilarious!

I loved the writing in My Lady Jane and may have actually preferred it even more than Gentleman's Guide. The narrators were fantastic and definitely had me laughing out loud. The narration style worked well in this book and I thought the narration between the authors was seamless. I couldn't tell this was written by 3 people.

I know this is made up history, but it still inspired me to do a lot of my own research. I had a similar experience with And I Darken, where I really wanted to know what was based in truth and what was made up, and learned a lot of history in the process.

Jane is a woman after my own heart with her love of books and reading. I loved how clever and quick-witted she was. I wasn't expecting romance from this novel, but I really enjoyed it as a side story and loved all the characters. The fantasy element made the book even more fun.

I don't have too much to say about the book, but would definitely recommend when you're looking for a light or funny read! So excited there's two more Jane books to look forward to!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Lady Jane.

Quotes Maria Liked

Cynthia Hand
“No horse jokes," he said.
"My lord, I apologize for the horse joke. If you put down the book---unharmed!---I will give you a carrot."
He brandished the book at her. "Was that a horse joke?"
"Neigh."
"Was that a horse joke?”

Cynthia Hand
“He wanted to tell her she'd have more room if she'd just get rid of her books, but he supposed that in her case, it would be like telling a mother she'd have more room if she threw out her children.”

Cynthia Hand
“Firstly, bears are always hungry. So when you encounter the bear, don’t act like food.”

Cynthia Hand
“And most of all, she loved the way books could transport her from her otherwise mundane and stifling life and offer the experiences of a hundred other lives.”

Cynthia Hand
“You love me?" she whispered.
"The very instant I saw you, my heart flew to your service," he said.
"Really?"
"No," he admitted. "Not exactly. But it's a good line, am I right?”

July 20, 2017 – Shelved