Orient's Reviews > The Mermaid's Tale

The Mermaid's Tale by D.G. Valdron

bookshelves: bloody-romance, desperado, fantasy, hero, killer, psychological

“It’s hard to dream when someone is trying to cut your head off.”

Where’s the line between the animal and the human? What defines us as humans? I felt this book strike the core of this matter. Oh wow, what a read. This book is dark, engaging, a bit annoying, interesting and full of hard life. With a slight touch of light, shining in the horizon, while sitting near the ocean and listening for the Mermaid’s Tale…. What a tale.

I knew that this book is smth peculiar and it is for sure. Lets take the characters for example. A bunch of various creatures and only some humans. A strange main heroine. Or not a heroine? I liked this interestingly strange angle to look into the world of beasts to find the things which define us, humans. And be shocked at how true it is.

I’m not sure if I like the main heroine. At first she’s presented in a gripping way. Almost a twin sis of one of my faves in Malazan, Karsa Orlong. I liked to see her struggle in life, follow her through hardships and see the final outcome, who she became.

What kept me at bay from fangirling a bit and made the reading prolonged is that I felt that the book and the investigation is a bit longer than necessary, it felt dragging a bit. On the other hand, other side characters interested me a lot and I’d like to know more about them for sure. I mean, nowadays to find a not shiny-ass vampire is a treat and I found it in Mermaid’s tale. Also I liked the adaptation of Four Horsemen theme in the story.

A treat! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFAxJ...

The other creatures inhabiting Mermaid’s Tale are fascinating, colorful and multilayered. There are always lessons to be learnt not only about the world around us but also about the people who are in it. It was interesting to explore a part of it in this read.

To sum up, a great read nonetheless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mermaid's Tale.

July 19, 2017 – Shelved
September 6, 2017 – Shelved as: fantasy
September 6, 2017 – Shelved as: hero
September 6, 2017 – Shelved as: killer
September 6, 2017 – Shelved as: psychological

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)

message 1: by Caro (new)

Caro the Helmet Lady Orient (online) - pagavau! Welcome back, taip sakant! ;D

Orient Caro wrote: "Orient (online) - pagavau! Welcome back, taip sakant! ;D"

Damn it, o maniau kad atsliūkinsiu paslapčia :D Ačiū! :)

message 3: by Caro (new)

Caro the Helmet Lady Dziugu tave vel matyti <3

Orient Caro wrote: "Dziugu tave vel matyti <3"

Awww 💜💜💜💜 Pasiilgau pablevyzgojimų su tavim! :)

message 5: by Caro (new)

Caro the Helmet Lady Taigi! ;D

message 6: by Sr3yas (new)

Sr3yas Great review, Orient :) Looks like the downtime had made a philosopher out of you :p

message 7: by Sr3yas (new)

Sr3yas And Metalica, Woooohooo! \m/

Orient Sr3yas wrote: "Great review, Orient :) Looks like the downtime had made a philosopher out of you :p"

Thanks, Sreyas ;) Ohh the downtime was used up running in a wheel like a faithful hamster XD Metalica kept me sane :) *joins Sreyas in headbanging while listening to Metalica*

message 9: by Sr3yas (new)

Sr3yas Orient wrote: "Sr3yas wrote: "Great review, Orient :) Looks like the downtime had made a philosopher out of you :p"

message 10: by Mili (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mili Glad you liked it! I understand that some parts seemed long, dragged out. It switched for me right on time.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review Lass 👍😁 it's good to have you back😍🌹

Orient Sr3yas wrote: "Aw, That busy, huh! Haha, Metalica and metal will carry you through these tough times. As Queen sang, We are the champions :p
"

Orient Mili wrote: "Glad you liked it! I understand that some parts seemed long, dragged out. It switched for me right on time."

So great that you loved it! I guess it could be the busy time that prevented my fangirl to act ;)

Orient A Bald Mage** wrote: "Great review Lass 👍😁 it's good to have you back😍🌹"

Thanks! I missed GR a lot, you all are my family <3

Orient TheLoneTiger wrote: "Great review Orinta😄"

Thanks, Craig ;)

☽Luna☾ Great review precious!! Gosh missed you

message 17: by Anish (new)

Anish Kohli Great review miss! :)
Welcome back!

Orient ☽Luna☾ wrote: "Great review precious!! Gosh missed you"

Thanks, lovely! I love stalking you for my reads as damn, but you have an excellent taste in books!!! :)

Orient Anish wrote: "Great review miss! :)
Welcome back!"

Thanks, Anish ;) Have to get back :)

Orient TheLoneTiger wrote: "Now i have a bit more time....great images too!! Really sums up the message that is given by the book. I also likened the main chracter and her race to gorillas, the way they act especially with objects or a body😄 "

Hey, be a good friend and share free time, give me a couple of hours please :) Thanks ;) Omg, yes, the main heroine is similar to gorillas indeed! I just keep wondering what happened next to all of the characters as the touch of humanity was so evident, damn, they could make better humans for sure!

message 21: by Stefan Bach (new) - added it

Stefan Bach I missed your great reviews! :D I hope you'll find time to visit us more often 'wherever you may roam' right now. :D :D

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Fantastic review lovely lady 😊💜. I love the cover of that book too! I obsess over covers!!!!

Orient Stefan wrote: "I missed your great reviews! :D I hope you'll find time to visit us more often 'wherever you may roam' right now. :D :D"

Lol, I'll try to harass you more often as damn I'm becoming soft with age XD

Orient Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ wrote: "Fantastic review lovely lady 😊💜. I love the cover of that book too! I obsess over covers!!!!"

Thanks, sweets! Oh the cover is such an art indeed :)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I added it to my Amazon wishlist =) ♥ It was really nice talking to you this morning too love!

Orient Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ wrote: "I added it to my Amazon wishlist =) ♥ It was really nice talking to you this morning too love!"

Awesome, hope you'll love it when the book arrives ;) Aww, I love our chit-chats a lot! :)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Thank you doll =) xo