Dana Moison's Reviews > Central Park

Central Park by Guillaume Musso

After already reading two of this great author’s books, I just had to continue to another Guillaume-Musso thriller, which had been waiting patiently on by bookshelf. Its name, Central Park, immediately triggered a warm memory of fresh grass tickling my nape as I chance a glance at the sun illuminating the famous park with its golden aura, while I’m seizing the opportunity to sit back and read.

However, my beloved Central Park has a rather small part in this book. Alice and Gabriel wake up in the woods of the park, injured and chained to each other by handcuffs. Alice doesn’t understand how from a night with her girlfriends on Champs-Élysées in Paris she had ended up being chained to a stranger in New York, and why she has a gun that isn’t hers stashed in her coat, along with a suspicious blood stain. Gabriel, a mischievous American, discovers while still being chained to Alice a mysterious set of digits engraved on his bloody arm. The two of them try to follow the clues and discover connections to dark secrets from their past, which they slowly begin to share with each other. As you continue reading, new revelations appear and some of the characters “change their spots”, but then perhaps not, which makes this reading enticing and intriguing.

However, although Guillaume Musso’s excellent writing and the surprising storyline, there was something missing. There was no “wow-effect”. When I tried to figure out why I felt this way, I kept thinking on the main characters of Alice and Gabriel. Alice’s character is tough, even stiff, driven, tenacious and fragile all at once; I’m not sure I liked her, but I did give her my sympathy. On the contrast, there was Gabriel’s character, which is easier to like initially, but remained more as scenery than a main character, and failed to move me emotionally.

The ending of the story is very surprising and is almost impossible to guess, but since I didn’t feel connected to the characters, this revelation didn’t shock me to the core like it could have done, and that’s too bad. There are some weak points in the explanations presented to the readers, which supposed to make the broader picture clearer, a key element that is not so believable in my viewpoint, and therefore I was slightly disappointed.
Nevertheless, since I’m a bit kitschy, reading the final two sentences in this book moved me and allowed me to close the book with a sense of pleasure.

So what’s the bottom line? If I try not to compare Central Park to Guillaume Musso’s previous books I had read and loved, I would admit that this is a rather thrilling, surprising and well-written book. It might be a bit controversial – but that’s all the more reason to read it and decide for yourself!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Central Park.

July 19, 2017 – Started Reading