Brian Basham's Reviews > Redshirts

Redshirts by John Scalzi

19682729

liked it

Redshirts follows the adventures of the crew members of the Intrepid. Apparently the Intrepid has an issue with its crew members dying when they go on an away team with specific members of the crew from the bridge. This causes the regular crew to avoid the leadership of the Intrepid like the plague to keep from having to go on away missions. Then there is the magic box that fixes problems that no one knows how to resolve. No one knows where it came from.

The premise of the novel is quite inventive and unique. It is a parody of Star Trek that lends itself to some interesting twists and humor. The characters are sassy and mostly interesting. The problem I have with this novel is the subdued plot. There are many ways that the author could have taken this novel. Instead Scalzi chose to rather mundane adventure filled with sarcasm. Most of it I enjoyed until the last act where everything slid off the page into a ravine. The final bits of the novel tied up the story, but it did it in a manner that ruined all of the build up to that point. I loved the first 3/4 of the novel even with the average plot, but then the novel took a left turn and tried to be something else. That something else did not work very well. It was like Scalzi decided the plane should land on its wing instead of the landing gear, and that just made one unholy mess.

I still thoroughly enjoyed the first 3/4 of the novel. I will just have to pretend the final act didn't happen. Fans of Scalzi's other works should enjoy this one as well. I was just not a fan of the way this one ended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Redshirts.

July 18, 2017 – Started Reading