Eric Mesa's Reviews > Skin Deep

Skin Deep by Brandon Sanderson

As I mentioned in a status update, Sanderson gives the story twice as much room to breathe compared to the first story and it works a lot better. The mystery doesn't seem as abrupt and things work out a lot better. The twist that gets him out of a pickle late in the story also caused me to literally laugh out loud. Luckily, no one was around to stare at me.

This time Sanderson moves from a more paranormal type of plot to more of a science fiction premise. It works a little better for me that it's a bit more in the realm of possibility. Sanderson also plays with Leeds' fame (or infamy) more in this story and leads to some fun results. The book is also filled with some more interesting characters.

There isn't too much more to say when a story is only 129 pages unless one wants to spoil. While I prefer Sanderson's Cosmere, I think these work well to showcase Sanderson's storytelling in the "real world".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skin Deep.

July 18, 2017 – Shelved
July 18, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
September 8, 2018 –
27.0% "This is a very neat case that Leeds is on"
September 9, 2018 – Started Reading
September 9, 2018 –
34.0% "Wonder where it's going"
September 10, 2018 –
40.0% "It'll be interesting if JC via Arnoud turns out to be right."
September 11, 2018 –
47.0% "I like the twists and turns this thing is taking."
September 11, 2018 –
55.0% "Sanderson gave this story more room to breathe than the first one and the story is better for it."
September 12, 2018 –
70.0% "New, fun revelations. Can't wait to see how it's resolved."
September 12, 2018 –