Eric Mesa's Reviews > Neon Noir: A Delilah Street Paranormal Investigator Anthology

Neon Noir by Carole Nelson Douglas

did not like it

This book might be for you. It was most assuredly not for me. The world was OK, but three things kept me from enjoying it:

- The reveals or answers to the cases seemed to come out of left field (compare with Sanderson where a reveal or twist makes you realize all the hints that were dropped all along)

- The prose was mostly fine, but then strange turns of phrase would leave me wondering "what's happening here?"

- The collection of stories in this anthology was weird because often reference was made to events that didn't happen in any of stories you'd read. So they'd be talking about something key that was affecting the way the characters were relating to each other and you felt as if you'd fallen asleep during the movie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Neon Noir.

July 18, 2017 – Shelved
July 18, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
April 20, 2018 – Started Reading
April 21, 2018 –
6.0% "So in 2001 all the paranormal entities made themselves known. Similar to Dead Witch Walking, but decades later"
April 23, 2018 –
14.0% "Really not enjoying this at all"
April 23, 2018 –
14.0% "Really not enjoying this at all"
April 23, 2018 –
17.0% "First mystery done. Not sure all the clues were there, but I could be wrong."
April 24, 2018 –
36.0% "Story 2 was better, but I still find myself confused at what's going on due to strange turns of phrase. And I still feel the solution was a bit out of left field."
April 30, 2018 –
58.0% "The story quality continues to improve, but there are still some strange turns of phrase that leave me wondering what is going on."
May 1, 2018 –
63.0% "story 4 begins and it's a doozy"
May 2, 2018 –
67.0% "Interesting ethical situation"
May 3, 2018 –
73.0% "Another story done. This time not hard to follow, but didn't get the ending."
May 7, 2018 –
79.0% "strange start to this story"
May 8, 2018 –
May 9, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Dara (new)

Dara Re: Sanderson - I find that any book I read after finishing a book by a truly outstanding author usually doesn't land well for me. Anything I read after a book by Robin Hobb, Steven Erikson, Neal Stephenson, or NK Jemisin usually leaves me wanting, through no fault of that book's.