Brigitte 's Reviews > My Hellion, My Heart

My Hellion, My Heart by Amalie Howard

Jul 22, 2017

bookshelves: 2017, adult, arc, historical, netgalley, romance

This story is set in the 19th century. It starts off in Paris and continues in London and Essex. It's the season when all the eligible batchelors and young maidens attend functions, in the hope of finding a suitable match.

Henry, the Earl of Langlevit is reluctant to settle down. Whilst working for the crown he was captured, imprisoned and tortured. His physical and psychological scars are not obvious whereas his good looks and physique stand out. He is plagued by nightmares and his escapism is sex. It has come to a point where he has to get married and produce heirs or lose his title. It's part of an ongoing agreement.

Irina is a Princess, well known for going against etiquettes. She has refused many proposals since she lost her heart to the one man that she can't have. Max is her best friend and partner in crime. They decide to leave Paris and spend part of the season in London and create havoc!

Irina's crush for Henry has developed into something deeper. Everytime she sees him, she goes weak at the knees. He doesn't think that he is good enough for her because of his past but, whenever the opportunity arises, he can't keep his hands off her. He gives her hope, then he pushes her away. The situation appears to be hopeless and they both make alternative arrangements!

When Henry decides to fight for what he wants and Irina decides to come clean, an unexpected situation comes into play. Henry's life is at risk and Irina is shocked when she discovers that they have been betrayed. The traitor and his reasons are even more shocking! Can they find a way out of this traitorous predicament?

This story portrays two main characters who have been in situations which have left them with post traumatic stress disorders. One far worse than the other. Love is a powerful healer! It's a moving story with convincing characters. It's well balanced with equal portions of sorrow, deceit, greed, betrayal as well as love, passion, fun and laughter. The suspense, especially towards the end kept me glued to the book. As soon as one problem is solved, another one rears its ugly head. A nail biting, captivating and romantic story well worth reading.

I was kindly issued with an eARC from the publisher via NetGalley and the views expressed are my personal opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Hellion, My Heart.