Lola's Reviews > Loving Kalvin

Loving Kalvin by Siobhan Davis

bookshelves: e-books-on-ipad, books-that-i-own, got-a-copy-for-review-reviewed

I received a free copy from the author and voluntarily reviewed it

Wow this book was really good! It has a sweet and beautiful love story, but also deals with some tough topics. We met Lana and Kalvin in the first three books in this series and I always have been curious about their story. They just seemed so good together, but then things happened and I wasn't sure how they would get back from that. I loved that they get their second chance in this book and I am pretty sure it's my favorite book in this series so far.

Lana and Kalvin have hurt each other a lot in the past. And at times I wasn't sure how they ever would get over it and even if they did they would always have that stuff in their past. But at the same time I am a huge believer in second chances and that one mistake shouldn't be able to completely ruin your life. And that's exactly what this book is about. It shows how much they have hurt each other and how much these mistakes costs them. They still feel the consequences from their mistakes and it follows them around. But it's also a very uplifting and beautiful story about forgiveness and finding happiness. It's about the damage secrets can do, but also how love can overcome all.

This book was very sad at times, it's hard to see some of the stuff they have to go through. Random people who judge them and get angry for what happened. People who believe their own version of the truth. And also Lana who feels so guilty over what she has done, and I could understand why, because she did do something very bad, but I also hoped she would one dat be able to move past it. And on the other hand we have Kalvin who forgives her for what she has done and knows he made his fair share of mistakes too and how far he's going to prove her that he has changed and she is the one for him. Gah it just made for a great story. Next to the sad parts, there are some very sweet and beautiful parts and these two characters just belong together. And I loved reading about their journey.

While this book is part of a series and I think it's best to read the series in order if you can/ want to, it also can be read well as a standalone I think. I liked having read the first three books first as you have seen part of their past and the things they do to each other from Faye and Kyler's perspective. This book takes place later and does refer back to those events, but you don't get to read them when they happen.You do get a better understanding now why Lana did what she did and how what happened influenced her life and Kalvin's. I also felt like I could truly appreciate how much they both have changed as I know how they acted in the previous books.

I also have to say that this book did have a slightly different feel than the first three books. While the first three books were filed with drama and scandal, this book toned that down a bit. It's more character focused and while there are still issues to deal with, it's more things the characters have gone through and done and how they deal with it. And while I like both, I think the different feel fit this story.

It can be difficult to see past what they have done to each other, as they really hurt each other badly, but it was great to see how they dealt with everything and see what great people they are even while they made mistakes. I thought these characters wee very well written and their actions felt realistic for the most part. When Kalvin finds out something later on in the book I thought his reaction was very believable and it made sense he struggled with it. And also at first where he so easily forgives Lana for what she did, I thought it all made sense. It also made me think of how often we are judge ourselves the hardest as that's definitely true for this book. Lana really struggled with what she had done, while Kalvin was able to find forgiveness easier.

It's a great story. I was able to predicts a few small twists that happened, but that didn't diminish my enjoyment of the book. There was a part later in the book where I did think Kalvin changed his stance a bit too fast on something and I would rather have a bit more to the scene to understand his change of heart a bit better or have him explain it more to Lana. I also personally didn't really care about the Shelby and Chase side plot lines, it just felt a bit forced and then rushed into for one last attempt at drama towards the end.

I already got to know Lana and Kalvin a bit in the first three books and I liked being able to get to know them better here. I really liked them both. Kalvin was so sweet to Lana, we already got hints of his nice personality in the previous books, but it really shone through here. He really wants to show Lana how much she means to him and that he's not going to repeat the mistakes of his past. And I also liked Lana, I really admired how she handled everything she went through. She had to deal with so much and still dealt with it greatly, even though it also was obvious how she struggled with things.

It also was nice to see a little bit of the other Kennedy Boys as well in this book, but mostly this is Lana and Kalvin their story. We see a bit of Faye, Kyler and Brad throughout the story and then at the end a bit of the rest of the family. Which was nice to see them all again. The ending was so sweet and perfect and it made me happy to see how it ended. I just wish the scene from Brad wasn't behind it as it diminished my happy end of the book feeling a bit.

To summarize: This book was so good! It has this sweet and beautiful romance story and two characters who are perfect for each other. And at the same time it deals with some tough topics and mistakes they made in the past. They hurt each other a lot and at times I wasn't sure how they would get beyond that, but it was amazing to see the story progress and how they dealt with everything. Kalvin is so sweet and I really admired Lana and how she handled everything. I also believe that even though she made a mistake she deserves this second chance, they both did. I liked the few glimpses of their past and how their relationship started. These two are great for each other and the ending was perfect!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Loving Kalvin.

April 2, 2017 – Shelved (ebook Edition)
April 2, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read (ebook Edition)
July 18, 2017 – Started Reading
July 18, 2017 – Shelved
July 18, 2017 – Shelved as: e-books-on-ipad
July 18, 2017 – Shelved as: books-that-i-own
July 18, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
July 18, 2017 – Shelved as: books-that-i-own (ebook Edition)
July 18, 2017 – Shelved as: e-books-on-ipad (ebook Edition)
July 20, 2017 –
50.0% "So far it's really good. These two have hurt each other a lot and at times I wonder how they can get back from that, but at the same time I am totally rooting for these two to get back together. And Kalvin is so sweet!"
July 21, 2017 –
July 23, 2017 – Finished Reading
July 27, 2017 – Shelved as: got-a-copy-for-review-reviewed
August 21, 2017 – Shelved as: got-a-copy-for-revie... (ebook Edition)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Donna Best review I've seen yet! I love how you said this "It shows how much they have hurt each other and how much these mistakes costs them. They still feel the consequences form their mistakes and it follows them around. But it's also a very uplifting and beautiful story about forgiveness and finding happiness. It's about the damage secrets can do, but also how love can overcome all."
Perfectly said!!!!

Lola Aww thanks! That part does really sum up where this book is about. I really enjoyed this story :).