Princess Kayla's Reviews > Supernaturally

Supernaturally by Kiersten White

Sep 08, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: the-first-one-was-better, just-ok, reviewed

Let me start off by saying I loved the first book in this series, Paranormalcy. It was laced with Evie’s awesome snarky attitude, and awesome action scenes. This book however fell a little short for me. This one begins with a bit of a slow start, basically explaining Evie’s boredom in the way her life has been without International Paranormal Containment Agency and her depression from being without Lend. It didn’t take long for me to ask myself “Where's the magic and spark of the first book?” The majority of Supernaturally was centered around Evie’s love life and pining over Lend. It was a bit overdramatic and angsty for me. However, after about 200 pages in the action picks up and the show gets on the road again.

The positive: I really loved the new character Jack. He was bouncy and happy like a little kid, and kind of reminded me of Dolby the house elf. He popped in and out of existence and caused a lot of mayhem.
Once the action picked up it got really good. We learn a little about Evie’s past, and actually get to go into the Fairy Realm. Also, there were a lot of twists and turns towards the end that I was not prepared for.

And don’t forget Reth. Oh Reth how I love thee. Reth is really the star of the show in this book. He just seemed to pop up at random intervals to shake things up and glare at Evie, but in the cool creepy way not the omg Edward way. He was extremely creepy in this book, more so than normal, and I loved him. Although Evie has her awesome snarky attitude, he has that cool creepiness thing working for him and it played out really well here. I just kept imagining him as the Black Butler, which just made him even cooler.

The negative: Evie spent a good deal of the book whining and angsting, which got old real quick. She threw her friends to the curb, and was instantly forgiven at the end (that really bugged me). Also, where was lend most of the book? I began to forget what he looked like and if I liked him because I never saw his character. And when I did I had to read about how hot he was, and how bad it is that Evie had to keep lying to him. Evie refused to tell Lend about his being immortal. She figured it wouldn’t really matter and she could hold it off. How could you expect to hold information like that from someone you are supposedly dating without expecting the fallout?

Overall I had a hard time getting into Supernaturally, but I eventually allowed myself to enjoy it a bit. It wasn’t terrible, but it wasn’t as good as the first. If you are looking for a tide me over in this series until the next you will enjoy this, but if you were hoping for it to be just like Paranormalcy I’m afraid you will be disappointed, at least I was. I will give this 3.5 stars and hope that it picks back up in the next installment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Supernaturally.

September 8, 2011 – Started Reading
September 8, 2011 – Shelved
September 8, 2011 –
page 20
5.95% "Here goes nothing. I heard that this one is sucky so I guess ill just go ahead and get it out of the way. I loved the first but from what I've read so far, it's already not as fun as the first. Oh well, I'll try it out anyway. Wish me luck!!!"
September 17, 2011 –
page 70
20.83% "Waaa I'm kinda bored and disappointed. Where's the magic and spark of the first book? It's taking me a long time to read this because of a mixture of homework and stuff, but I'm not really that torn up. I'm feeling fairly disappointed so far. Hopefully it picks back up. It still has a lot of the same awesome snark with Evie, but the story itself is slow going. Im not ready to give up yet though!"
page 114
33.93% "Oh come on Evie you can't keep a major secret from Lend for long. It's so going to backfire! I'm kind of disappointed it's taking too long to get to the action. I love the writing and use of language but miss the action! :/"
page 194
57.74% "Oh jack! I love his character. I just wish they would do more with him. He kind of reminds me of Dolby the house elf ;)"
page 207
61.61% "I miss lend. He's hardly around, and whenever he is around he's being so boring. What happened to his awesomeness? Waaa!"
October 5, 2011 –
page 291
86.61% "Now were getting somewhere! Ooh Reth is so creepy and awesome! :) Finally some action!"
October 5, 2011 –
0.0% "Im finished yay! Review coming soon, along with the one for bloodlines."
October 5, 2011 – Finished Reading