Laurie Carlson's Reviews > A Lancaster County Christmas

A Lancaster County Christmas by Suzanne Woods Fisher

“A Lancaster County Christmas” by Suzanne Woods Fisher

It is the day before Christmas Eve. A large snowstorm is brewing outside and the first snowflakes are starting to fall and stick to the ground. Everyone who is out only wants to get home before this snowstorm hits, and hits hard. These two couples are brought together by fate, or God; a plain couple and an Amish couple, while at the local doctors office. As the young married woman is about to leave the doctor’s office, the doctor asked her a simple question. Could she please return the toy owl whistle that the little Amish boy who was there forgot in the doctor’s office? Their farm is not to far away from the office, he explains. Hesitantly she agrees, even though it doesn’t quite fit into her schedule. Oh, she has so much to do. It’s almost Christmas Eve and she and her husband will be meeting her father to go on a Caribbean cruise. Ugh. After the doctor explained to her how losing a toy like this for a child is a horrible event, and for her to please understand, so she does decides to do it.
This young woman and her husband go to the Amish couple’s home to deliver this wooden owl whistle. A series of events occur, which leave this young couple stranded at this Amish families’ farm overnight. Ugh.
Little does each woman know, each of them has separate but similar problems to work out in their marriages. How can a “plain” couple and an Amish couple have similar marital problems? Two couples, from completely different backgrounds, have something in common, much more so than they could ever have imagined.
During their many discussions together, more mayhem occurs. They both continue and encourage each other about very important things in their lives. While talking, they both find answers from the other’s problems. This is truly amazing to each of the two women, not that they will readily admit this.
The men are continuing to take care of the mayhem while their talks continue. This story is about these two women. What they don’t know is they are learning from the other as time and more discussion goes on.
This book is a short read, only about 208 pages enjoyable. It is the perfect Christmas read! It is a comfy, cozy, but adventurous story at the same time. Two very different couples living under one roof for a couple days brings all of them together, despite their differences. What they take from each other is priceless. What happens and how this book ends is truly a miracle. It is the miraculous work of God. Christmas is a time for miracles, after all!
Suzanne Woods Fisher is a wonderful novelist. I enjoyed this story in one sitting. Her Grandfather was an Old Order Amish Church Member, so she has Amish in her blood, and just happens to know all about it. All of her novels are always so enjoyably delicious!
You need to get yourself a copy of this book as a Christmas present for YOU! I would also suggest this as a wonderful gift for a friend or two, to top your Christmas off with this GREAT read! I give it 5 out of 5 star Holiday Reading, or anytime reading!
A quick note from me: I LOVE to read Christmas stories all through the year! It helps to keep the Christmas spirit alive all through the year! When Christmas is here, all the hustle and bustle of Christmas prevents us from enjoying these types of books. Sometimes I think when we see a Christmas book we think we can’t read it because it’s not Christmas time. I HIGHLY disagree! ANYTIME is a WONDERFUL time to read a Christmas story, and maybe more so throughout the year than ‘just’ at Christmas. I know you will love this story immensely.
ENJOY!!
I received this book for “FREE” from Revell, a Division of Baker Publishing Group, through LifFuse Publicity, through their Book Reviewer’s Program in exchange to read this book and write a review about it. It is NOT required for my review I write to be either positive or negative, but, “of my own opinion.” I was NOT provided with “ANY” monies to accept this book, “NOR” to read it, NOR were “ANY” monies given to me to write the review for this book. All that was ‘expected’ of me was to enjoy the pure pleasure of reading it. Again, the opinions expressed for and about this book are ‘of my own opinion’. I am disclosing this information in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255, http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/wa... Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Lancaster County Christmas.

Quotes Laurie Liked

Suzanne Woods Fisher
“When did wishing someone a Merry Christmas become politically incorrect?”
Suzanne Woods Fisher, A Lancaster County Christmas