C.G. Drews's Reviews > Mr. 60%

Mr. 60% by Clete Barrett Smith

bookshelves: 4-star, contemporary, read-2017, ya-male-narrators, ya-without-romance, young-adult

Ohh this is one to tug at your FEELS. I absolutely loved it!! It was a bit of a "pick up on a whim" sort of book and I'm so glad I did. It's heartwarming and it's really short, but packs a punch. And it's pretty gritty too. It's about a teen who runs drugs in order to buy medication for his dying uncle...so -- oh oh, that's okay. I'll wait here while you get some tissues. I UNDERSTAND. It so perfectly builds this scene of a boy and his uncle who grate against each other but LOVE each other fiercely. And I just --

yes. it's raining on my face.

I absolutely loved Matt. He's called "Mr 60%" because he does the bare minimum to get through classes. He's basically only in school so he can hook kids up with drugs = ergo to buy money for his uncle's meds. So he's a total antihero. He's closed off and silent and so so sad because everyone treats him like dirt. Everyone just think he's a no-good, loser, going-to-end-up-in-jail sort of kid and -- IT KINDA BREAKS YOU. He's also kind of sweet, but in a gruff way. The book is SO SMOL but I really cared about Matt in like a matter of heartbeats. Precious cinnamon scone.

I also adored the writing!! It was really concise, brisk, and to the point. The scenes are short and they PUNCH. I love it!!

And it showed a really gritty side of dying. Like Uncle Jack's sickness is messy and gross and here's Matt, 17, and taking care of his Uncle no matter what.

Also can we take a moment for boy-and-girl PLATONIC friendships?!?? Matt kind of teams up with super sweet Amanda for a school project but there is (a) no sappy insta-romance, and (b) Amanda doesn't take Matt's moodiness but she also doesn't force him to change. It's like so healthy and GOOD?!????? I LOVED IT. I totally would ship them later, but in this book: it was perfect to see no romance. Congrats, YA, you still know how to write stories without romance. yOU ARE DOING GOOD.

Honestly it was smol and moving and bittersweet and I had a FEELING. It won't happen again. Gesundheit me are you coming down with a cold. I absolutely didn't want to put it down. <3 PRECIOUS CINNAMON SCONES.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. 60%.

July 17, 2017 – Shelved
July 17, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
July 21, 2017 – Started Reading
July 22, 2017 –
62.0% "no no it's fine it's just RAINING ON MY FACE"
July 22, 2017 – Shelved as: 4-star
July 22, 2017 – Shelved as: contemporary
July 22, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
July 22, 2017 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators
July 22, 2017 – Shelved as: ya-without-romance
July 22, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
July 22, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by LaDonna (new) - added it

LaDonna Good review, Cait! I'm not interested in passing judgement about why Matt does what he does. But, I'm very interested in reading this book.

Samantha (WLABB) I think I got a tear in my eye just reading the review.

Zenki the Hermit This review makes me want to read it asap :O

message 4: by Clete (new)

Clete Smith (Okay, so I know that authors aren't supposed to read reviews. And I have never commented on a review before. But just wanted to say thank you for this one!)

C.G. Drews @LaDonna: I hope you do get a chance to read it!

@Sam: N'awww. ME TOO, WRITING IT.

@Zenki: YOU SHOULD.

C.G. Drews @Clete: Omg thank you for writing such an amazing book!!