Kate's Reviews > The Hunter

The Hunter by L.J. Smith

liked it
bookshelves: 2017, age-ya, vintage-ya, thriller

Jenny is having a party, and needs some activity, so she goes out and buys a strange game in a plain white box from a store that appeared out of nowhere, from a hot guy named Julian with white hair. The game involves drawing their nightmares and placing them in the rooms of a cardboard house - and suddenly they are inside the house and must face their nightmares in order to escape. Julian is the gamemaster, a Shadow Man, and he wants Jenny.

I've been wanting to read this ever since I read Caraval, because a few reviewers mentioned the similarities. There's a game that involves a lot of trickery, and a guy named Julian who has the hots for the main character. Right from the beginning, Jenny didn't seem that into her boyfriend Tommy, and he seemed like a tool, so I almost wanted her to end up with Julian. I love how hard this book tries to be "cyber-punk" especially given how many years ago it was written, and especially since some of the nightmares they have to face are things like rats and a messy room. There's only one casualty, which was a little disappointing. Overall a good thriller, not quite a horror story despite the "nightmares" - although the big surprise about the origin of the story and Jenny's grandfather was a good one.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunter.

July 17, 2017 – Started Reading