Josephine (biblioseph)'s Reviews > Lumberjanes: To the Max Edition, Vol. 1

Lumberjanes by Noelle Stevenson

Lumberjanes is kind of a unique story that expands what you think girls are, and really brings out the best of the monster-of-the-week genre to tell a captivating story with emotional resonance.

Noelle Stevenson is known on the internet as the author of Nimona, a webcomic that was re-drawn and published, but you can still read as a webcomic in its original form. She’s known to me as the artist of Ryan North’s To Be or Not to Be, a gamebook which is similar in style to the trademarked Choose Your Own Adventure series, based on Shakespeare’s Hamlet.

Lumberjanes was at first intended to be a limited run series, and this volume collects those initial 8 issues, so this is a complete and satisfying arc. But because of popularity and critical acclaim, Lumberjanes was renewed and is, as of this review, still ongoing.

I loved seeing the lady-types in action, slowly getting to know each of them and see all the jokes that were carried over. I was worried at first whether I’d be able to keep them straight in my head, but I did without problem. They are as diverse and varied as all the lady-types in your life, and the story deftly surpasses all expectations with an exciting adventure about paranormal activities. To say much more about what’s really going on would be spoilers, but framing each issue around a badge the tenacious heroines can earn makes each issue grounded in a camp reality where I wish I could join them.

This ‘To the Max!’ edition collects Lumberjanes volume 1 & 2 in a rugged canvas hardback and includes some nice sketches and notes from the authors.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lumberjanes.

July 17, 2017 – Shelved