Candace's Reviews > After Ever Happy

After Ever Happy by Anna Todd

bookshelves: hate-that-i-love-them, listened-to-audio-version

The fourth book in the 'After' series, 'After Ever Happy' is the first book in the series that had a different "feel" to it. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of dramatic shenanigans between Tessa and Hardin. However, this time around they aren't the sole focus of the book. The result is a much more somber vibe.

After everything that went down at the end of the third book, Tessa is left markedly changed from the girl she was before. Those tragic events forced her to take a long, hard look at her relationship with Hardin. She finally faces the facts -- they're toxic.

Despite her love for Hardin, she knows that she needs to get away from him. Like the clichéd saying, "sometimes love isn't enough". Nothing could be more true for this dysfunctional couple at that point in time.

Even though Hardin comes to his senses and does his best to get Tessa to forgive him, it won't come easy this time around. Tessa has made up her mind and it will take years for Hardin to prove himself to her. It was long overdue.

With Tessa and Hardin living separate lives for most of this book, the story definitely had a different feel to it than earlier books. As much as it was what the logical me said needed to happen, the illogical part of me couldn't help but feel like this new direction wasn't as captivating. After all, this series' entire guilty pleasure appeal was based on the very same things that made this couple such a train wreck -- fighting, angst, jealousy, breaking up and making up. With those elements largely missing from this book, I didn't feel the same pull to the story.

That being said, I think that the author had used up all of the major angst-ridden story elements that readers could handle. Although the loss of this drama resulted in a slightly less engaging story for me, I don't think I could've handled another book full of Tessa and Hardin's back and forth fighting. This series has left me emotionally exhausted and I just don't have it in me.

Luckily, Tessa and Hardin do get the HEA eventually. It was long overdue and I was glad to see it. Finally, they have started to mature and deal with some of the issues in their relationship. As much as I loved to hate this couple, I have to admit that if there was ever a couple that stuck it out, it was them. Talk about hanging in there for better or worse.

Overall, this was still a great read. I have been completely hooked on Tessa and Hardin's story right from the start. It was one hell of an emotional rollercoaster ride. I feel content, but emotionally drained. I know that there are two remaining books in this series, but I'm stopping with this one for now. I don't want to upset the balance. I'm feeling content with how this book ended and I'm not sure I could handle it right now if something disrupted that peace.

Check out more of my reviews at www.bookaddicthaven.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After Ever Happy.

July 16, 2017 – Started Reading
July 16, 2017 – Shelved
July 16, 2017 – Shelved as: hate-that-i-love-them
July 16, 2017 – Shelved as: listened-to-audio-version
July 17, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)

message 1: by Orynthea (new)

Orynthea One of my favorite series ever!!

Candace Orynthea wrote: "One of my favorite series ever!!"

I'm enjoying it also, but it is sooo exhausting. :) xoxo

.Under the pages I remember reading this series and having headaches all the time because of their fights 😆 glad you loved it :)

message 4: by Amber (new)

Amber Great review, Candace! I'll have to try this series!

Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" Excellent review Candace, other "feel" and all ;-) <3

message 6: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Super review, Candace :)

message 7: by Steffi (new)

Steffi De Ceuster  ♥ Wonderful review Candace! Glad you enjoyed this one ! Xoxo

message 8: by Judith (new)

Judith Fab review,darling,x

message 9: by Pearl (new)

Pearl Angeli Wonderful review, Candace! :)

Norma * Traveling Sister Great review, Candace! :-)

Candace .Under the pages wrote: "I remember reading this series and having headaches all the time because of their fights 😆 glad you loved it :)"

LOL. I can completely understand that. I love angst and emotional pain in my books, but this one even pushed my limits. :) xoxo

Candace Norma wrote: "Great review, Candace! :-)"

Pearl wrote: "Wonderful review, Candace! :)"

Judith wrote: "Fab review,darling,x"

Steffi wrote: "Wonderful review Candace! Glad you enjoyed this one ! Xoxo"

Nicola wrote: "Super review, Candace :)"

Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" wrote: "Excellent review Candace, other "feel" and all ;-) <3"

Amber wrote: "Great review, Candace! I'll have to try this series!"

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Wonderful review love 💕😊

Jenny••Steamy Reads Blog•• Terrific review, hon!! xx

message 15: by Nazanin (new)

Nazanin Awesome review, Candace! xoxo

message 16: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Fantastic review Candace! :)

◆ Anna's ƦªϻƁℓℹռg$ ◆ Great review, Candace :)

Candace Anna's Ramblings ツ wrote: "Great review, Candace :)"

Sandra wrote: "Fantastic review Candace! :)"

Nazanin wrote: "Awesome review, Candace! xoxo"

Jenny wrote: "Terrific review, hon!! xx"

Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ wrote: "Wonderful review love 💕😊"

⊱✿⊰ Alicia ⊱✿⊰ Terrific review Candace ❤ xo

Candace ⊱✿⊰ Alicia ⊱✿⊰ wrote: "Terrific review Candace ❤ xo"

Thanks, Alicia! :) xoxo

message 21: by Wendy'sThoughts (new)

Wendy'sThoughts Strong review xoxo

message 22: by Christy (new)

Christy Awesome review, Candace! xo

message 23: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Fabulous review Candace 💚

Candace Deborah wrote: "Fabulous review Candace 💚"

Christy wrote: "Awesome review, Candace! xo"

Wendy'sThoughts wrote: "Strong review xoxo"

Thanks so much, ladies! :) xoxo

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Amazing Review Candace!

Candace Mary wrote: "Amazing Review Candace!"

Thanks so much, Mary! :) xoxo

message 27: by Emira (new) - added it

Emira Hi I finished reading all the series I want a books similar

message 28: by Savannah (new) - added it

Savannah Santillanes So I'm a little confused... is the third book on wattpad split into two published books? After We Fell and After Ever After? I just don't understand.

message 29: by Savannah (new) - added it