Katrina Passick Lumsden's Reviews > Darkness Falls

Darkness Falls by Cate Tiernan

1964146

liked it

This...was not nearly as good as the first book in the series. Why is it that every time I find a female protagonist I actually like, she seems doomed to take a turn toward Idiotville and reside there for 95% of the sequel? *Rubbing hand over face* It's like some kind of sequels curse.

This book did eventually redeem itself when Nasty finally wised up a bit at the end, but her little realization....that moment where she was like, "Wait, I'm powerful!"....I was sitting there, staring blankly at my Kindle and having to choke down an almost insurmountable urge to scream, "DUHHHHH!"

It's not that this book is bad, because it's not. Hence the three stars when normally this amount of irritation would cause me to lambast a book and maybe, maybe give it two stars. It's just that I expected so much more. Immortal Beloved is one of my favorite books of all time. With that in mind, I suppose it's reasonable to assume this one wouldn't live up to the high expectations I had for it.

The only thing that really bogged the entire story down for me was Nasty. I get feeling unsure and having low self-esteem and all that, but the wise-cracking, gut-instinct-trusting Nas from the first book was conspicuously absent from this installment. It was like 459 years of instinct just flew right out the window and she was suddenly questioning every single thing in her life, and not in the right way. Some of the issues she faced were so ridiculously obvious to even the most casual observer that one couldn't help employing some internal facepalm while Nas came to her silly realizations far, far too late.

The other problem with this book? Not nearly enough Reyn. He'd better play a huge part in the next book or I will be very upset.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkness Falls.

September 7, 2011 – Shelved
January 10, 2012 – Started Reading
January 10, 2012 –
0.0% "Whoop whoop! Been waiting over a year for this one!"
January 11, 2012 –
53.0% "This is....not going how I'd hoped..."
January 12, 2012 – Finished Reading