may ➹'s Reviews > Girl Made of Stars

Girl Made of Stars by Ashley Herring Blake

bookshelves: read-2018, 5-star, arc, contemporary, diverse, favorites, important-messages, my-heart, my-soul-hurts, pov-1st, pov-female, pretty-cover, tears, young-adult, i-actually-cried, fave-2018, rep-mental-illness, rep-lgbtqiap, rep-lgbtqiap-bi, rereads, rep-lgbtqiap-wlw
Read 2 times. Last read February 19, 2018 to February 27, 2018.

Me, thinking about this book at any moment in my life:

Even girls made of stars are captives, bound at the wrists and traded like property. Even girls made of stars aren’t asked, aren’t believed, aren’t considered worth the effort unless they can offer something in return.

Even girls made of stars buy into those lies sometimes.

This book destroyed me. This book destroyed me and it destroyed the chances of all other books this year because I have no doubt that this will be one of my favorite books of the year, if not my MOST favorite.

Let me put it this way: I haven’t cried over a book since 2016. This book made me sob. I teared up so many times. And then I reread the book two days after I first read it.

I don’t cry over books!! Tears do not stay on my face for the whole last half of books!! And I certainly don’t reread books two days after I first read them!!!! This book is a big deal.

I just… have no words about how much this book affected me. It’s so beautiful and poignant and gorgeously written and I can’t wait for everyone to read it, because it is 10000% worth it. Even if you feel like you’re dying inside.

First of all, this story is really, really heavy. It talks about rape and other forms of sexual abuse, also tackling issues of victim-blaming, sexuality, gender identity, and more. So it’s no surprise that this is a hard-hitting book. And it’s not just hard-hitting. It’s like… shoving and pushing on you all at once. It’s really intense, but it’s intense in a way that makes it so good, and powerful, and meaningful.

This book follows the story of Mara, whose twin brother Owen is accused of raping her best friend, Hannah. It’s about learning who to believe in and what to believe in. It’s about facing the past and figuring out how that will shape you in the future. But most of all, it’s a story about healing from things that you never thought you could get back up from.

Mara is our main character, a girl who is trying to recover from the past while dealing with the present, and wondering what it means for the future. The way her thoughts and emotions are written is so RAW, and it’s just so beautiful to see her finding her way up from the bottom of an abyss she never thought she could escape. Her arc (and pretty much every character’s arc in this book) is written and developed so well, whether it’s her learning how to live with the trauma she’s faced but not let it rule her, or her learning how to deal with a twin brother who has done something horrific.

This book relies a lot on character development—another reason why I fell so deeply in love with it—and all the side characters are written just as beautifully as Mara:

☼ Owen is portrayed as a boy who’s trying to reconcile with what he’s done, but his actions are never excused. This is the brother that Mara has loved her whole life, but she has to accept that someone so close to her can do something so horrendous.

☼ Hannah is a girl devastated by what’s been done to her by Owen, and what’s continually being done to her as a society that will never believe her, but what’s also evident is her growth and her strength and her ability to keep getting up even when everything brings her down. There is one scene between Mara and Hannah that made me SOB, because of how powerful and empowering it was.

☼ And finally, Charlie (Mara’s ex in the beginning to something else at the end) is a genderqueer character who uses she/her pronouns, who is struggling to really define herself and trying to find the bravery to express herself in a way that she needs to. I connected so much to Charlie and her struggles that it literally made me cry.

Mara and Charlie’s relationship is honestly so, so beautiful. (Also a reminder not to call this f/f because even though Charlie uses she/her pronouns, she is genderqueer and not a girl!!!) It’s about learning to come to terms with their own identities, but also learning how to support each other at the same time. It means a lot to me for a lot of personal reasons.

God. It’s been months since I read this, but I still can’t summon enough words to talk about this book. Mostly because 1) I’m still destroyed and trying to work through my feelings over this, but also because 2) this book is about flawed people working through their flaws, and yet it is written almost flawlessly.

Just... please read this book. It is one of the most powerful, deeply touching, well-written books I’ve ever read, and it means so much to me beyond the fact that it made me cry. It is just beautiful and stunning and an honest-to-god love story to every single person who is discovering who they are, how they fit into society, and learning to love whoever they turn out to be.

:: rep :: bisexual female MC with anxiety, sapphic genderqueer LI, Korean male LI
:: content warnings :: rape, sexual abuse and assault, anxiety/panic attacks

Thank you to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for the review copy in exchange for an honest review! This did not my affect my opinions in any way. All quotes are from an advanced copy and may differ in final publication.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl Made of Stars.

July 16, 2017 – Shelved
July 16, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
February 14, 2018 – Started Reading
February 16, 2018 –
page 8
2.71% "we haven’t even reached 10 pages and they’ve already said, in text, on paper... “bisexual” and “queerness”

i,,,,"
February 17, 2018 – Finished Reading
February 19, 2018 – Started Reading
February 22, 2018 –
page 105
35.59% "I’M SCREAMING I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH WHAT ARE YOU DOING IF YOU DON’T HAVE THIS BOOK ON YOUR TBR YET IT’S SO GOOD"
February 27, 2018 – Finished Reading
March 12, 2018 – Shelved as: fave-2018
April 8, 2018 – Shelved as: rep-mental-illness
May 6, 2018 – Shelved as: rep-lgbtqiap
May 6, 2018 – Shelved as: rep-lgbtqiap-bi
January 2, 2019 – Shelved as: rereads
September 5, 2020 – Shelved as: rep-lgbtqiap-wlw

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)

Elle (ellexamines) I'M SO PROUD OF YOU

Elle (ellexamines) I’ll block you if you don’t like this just fyi

lily ☁️ Ahh I hope you love it!! 💖

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

im gonna watch that video soon and be screaming too. HOPE YOU LOVE THIS

message 5: by ♚sari♚ (new)

♚sari♚ Damn well done for getting an arc, you should be screaming 😂 hope you enjoy it 💕

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ That's such a pretty cover!!! Happy reading :D

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

FIVE STARS

Jackie i can’t believe cold-hearted may CRIED at this book :‘) but i’m so glad you loved it

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

okay but can u believe critical may GAVE IT 5 STARS?!

Mackenzie Rose is on hiatus So...I’m assuming this means I HAVE to read it...

message 11: by Sabrien (new) - added it

Sabrien Abdelrahman Tears? Okay.
*turns to tbr* Can you handle one more book on your precarious stacks?

message 12: by may ❀ (new)

may ❀ im still shook that you can cry

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

@maymay SAME IM SURE SHES A HEARTLESS BINCH

message 14: by Elle (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elle (ellexamines) why are you all out here DRAGGING everyone

message 15: by may ❀ (new)

may ❀ dragging fake may is my only goal being on this site still has yet to happen but well....

message 16: by madeline ♡ (new) - added it

madeline ♡ OH GOD i'm looking forward to this so muchhhh (WHAT IS THIS YOU CRIED)

may ➹ Elise wrote: "I'M SO PROUD OF YOU"

thanks sweetie

may ➹ Elise wrote: "I’ll block you if you don’t like this just fyi"

you’re gonna have to block me for screaming too much about it

may ➹ Lily wrote: "Ahh I hope you love it!! 💖"

I LOVED IT SO MUCH

may ➹ ilsa ➹ wrote: "im gonna watch that video soon and be screaming too. HOPE YOU LOVE THIS"

i can’t stop screaming about this oh my goddddd

message 21: by Fares (new)

Fares Isn't this your first 5 stars of the year?
I'm glad the drought is over, with a 5 star and a reread soon after.

Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always Eeeep now I absolutely can't wait to read this!

lily ☁️ may ➹ wrote: "Lily wrote: "Ahh I hope you love it!! 💖"

I LOVED IT SO MUCH"

asdfghjkl you’re already rereading this

message 24: by may ❀ (new)

may ❀ im going to be testing the strength of our friendship. consider it a science experiment :)

message 25: by Naima ✩ (new) - added it

Naima ✩ *adds the book to my tbr*

message 26: by Kaylin (new) - added it

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) I NEED THIS WHY ISNT IT IN MY HOT LITTLE HAND RIGHT NOW

may ➹ ♚Sarika ♚ wrote: "Damn well done for getting an arc, you should be screaming 😂 hope you enjoy it 💕"

thank you!!! i'm still screaming, even after reading & rereading this 😅

may ➹ Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ wrote: "That's such a pretty cover!!! Happy reading :D"

it is a GORGEOUS cover aaahhh!!

may ➹ ilsa ➹ wrote: "FIVE STARS"

i... love this book

may ➹ Jackie wrote: "i can’t believe cold-hearted may CRIED at this book :‘) but i’m so glad you loved it"

you better read this and cry too

Nadhira Satria this book isn't even out yet and you already read it two times. You need help

message 32: by Sana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sana LET ME EAT YOUR REVIEW WTH ITS SO GOOD

message 33: by Sana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sana Good Job

message 34: by TS (new) - added it

TS you're single-handedly the person who has got me so hyped for this book you dont even know

Nadhira Satria this review is a masterpiece

may ➹ Mackenzie wrote: "So...I’m assuming this means I HAVE to read it..."

yes. you have to read it and love it or else

may ➹ Sabrien wrote: "Tears? Okay.
*turns to tbr* Can you handle one more book on your precarious stacks?"

your tbr can most definitely handle THIS book

may ➹ maymay ☕ wrote: "im still shook that you can cry"

we can't all magically cry over every book we read, kelly

may ➹ maymay ☕ wrote: "dragging fake may is my only goal being on this site still has yet to happen but well...."

i can't believe you just dragged yourself

may ➹ madeline ☾ wrote: "OH GOD i'm looking forward to this so muchhhh (WHAT IS THIS YOU CRIED)"

you BETTER love this as much as i did fkgusojsjjdf

may ➹ Fares wrote: "Isn't this your first 5 stars of the year?
I'm glad the drought is over, with a 5 star and a reread soon after."

yes it was my first 5 star and the first book i've cried over in like 2 years please read it it's so good

may ➹ Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always wrote: "Eeeep now I absolutely can't wait to read this!"

YESSS i hope you love it!!!!

may ➹ maymay ☕ wrote: "im going to be testing the strength of our friendship. consider it a science experiment :)"

ilsa 2 starred it and i have officially shunned her from my life, so

Kayla I REALLY want this book!!!

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

@may you have not officially shunned me from your life, why u lying??

message 46: by Elle (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elle (ellexamines) I mean no but she should have??

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Elise wrote: "I mean no but she should have??"

message 48: by Elle (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elle (ellexamines) ilsa ➹ wrote: "Elise wrote: "I mean no but she should have??"

clearly your weak hearts cant handle an O P I N I O N (also i might re-read it to see if my thoughts change???)"

your opinion is WRONG

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Elise wrote: "ilsa ➹ wrote: "Elise wrote: "I mean no but she should have??"

your opinion is WRONG"

A PARADOX.

Kayla why don't i have this book? i need to find some money and solve this problem asap

« previous 1