Lizz's Reviews > The Handmaid's Tale

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Jul 21, 2017

I really think I would have rated this book higher, but the writing was so dry. And, I'm not going to lie, I totally watched the TV series before the book, because I had to wait for the book from the library.

So, Offred is a Handmaid. Handmaids are from a passage in the bible that basically let a woman use another woman to have a baby. And that is what's needed in the world of the Handmaid's Tale. The women of the world have almost completely become barren. Except for a handful called Handmaids.

The story of this book is extremely interesting, and the show expands on it even more, bringing in some current events, and things that are very scary for women that are unfolding in the government. The idea of the story is extremely scary, in that, it wouldn't be hard to imagine something like this happening to women. Not in third worlds, or out of the way tiny towns, but country and worldwide.

This book should be read by every man and woman to prevent a future ruled by men and their egos, and scary, scary politics.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Handmaid's Tale.

July 16, 2017 – Started Reading