Wilson's Reviews > Electric Universe: How Electricity Switched on the Modern World

Electric Universe by David Bodanis

Sep 07, 2011

liked it
Read from September 07 to 27, 2011

I'm giving this three stars because what's there is pretty good, for what it is. But it's a grudging rating, for the book has one glaring, unforgivable fault.

The idea of this book is that it's meant to be a beginner's introduction to the underlying concepts of electricity: how it works and what's going on, as well as interesting stories surrounding the discoveries of those concepts.

And to that extent, it succeeds.

Purists will be upset by this book because it uses the device of lies to children to get a lot of the ideas across; that is, it simplifies - sometimes grossly simplifies - concepts, sometimes even mischaracterizing them, in order to be able to make the information more understandable to people entirely new to the ideas.

But this book isn't meant for purists. If you already have a reasonably good understanding of how electricity works, skip this book - it isn't for you. It's meant for people who are just beginning to get it; for them, it works.

However (and here we come to the glaring flaw I mentioned), this book contains a sin of omission: there is Not. One. Mention of Nicola Tesla. In the section on Edison, no mention of his and Tesla's very public battle over whether the electric grid should be using direct current (Edison) or alternating current (Tesla), and why Tesla won (because he was right!).

In the bit about Marconi, he ignores the fact that many of Marconi's patents - based on the work of Tesla, among others - were overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1943 (6 years after Marconi's death).

Given that much of the book is interesting stories about the scientists who discovered the properties of electricity and wrote its stories, it's curious - not to mention disquieting - that the Edison/Tesla conflict, at the very least (since it deals with an aspect of the electrical system that is still very important to us today) would be ignored.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Electric Universe.

11/23/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Judy (new) - rated it 1 star

Judy Mann Thank God someone else saw this revolting omission. Nicloa Tesla- NOT ONE WORD about the master. NOT ONE.
It always follows that writers
who omit Tesla are going to write brainless propaganda about Edison- who was a crook of the first order.Crooked as the day is long. Good review.
You got it spot on. JM(less)(less)

message 2: by Chuk (new)

Chuk Wow, the rest of that book would have to be damn good to excuse those two problems.

message 3: by dejah_thoris (new)

dejah_thoris I'm enjoying Passionate Minds and was tempted to read this but won't now that I've read your review. WTF? Why do we have to keep hiding Tesla's contribution to science?

message 4: by David (new)

David Thanks for your review! No mention of Tesla? Sounds like a superficial book.

message 5: by Ben (new)

Ben Howling Great review. I'll skip this one. Any recommendations for books that cover the same topic but DO include Tesla?

message 6: by Judy (new) - rated it 1 star

Judy Mann Try "My Inventions" by Nicola Tesla.Written in 1919.Stay away from the Prodigal Genius by John O'Neil. That guy was no friend to Tesla at all.Try My Inventions.JM

Niraj well thanks for informing. i am almost half way through and wouldn't wait for the tesla story anymore