Claudia Turner's Reviews > The Sky Below

The Sky Below by Scott Parazynski

I can see why Scott Parazynski wrote a book. If you spent your childhood traveling the world from Iran to Greece, then became a doctor and astronaut, climbed Everest and lived or trekked through parts of Russia, Antarctica and space then you have to write a book.

I didn’t really love his writing style...while I’d immediately be the first to recommend astronauts Chris Hadfield and Mike Massimino as brilliant writers, I wouldn’t say Scott’s writing alone would make a book.

I also didn’t like the way he just skirted past any credit for his ex-wife who was there for him through space travel, Russia, Houston, two kids and a largely absent husband. I know what it’s like to do most of the work as a parent and it’s hard! This lady deserves a medal probably and instead he spends the last section of the book doting over his new wife Mimi. No offense Mimi, but who cares.

At least he says many beautiful things about his kids that make me tear-up. And the adventures and some of the insights along the way in this incredibly full life make it all worthwhile. What a unique life and enjoyable story. I’d give it a go if you like heartfelt astronaut and adventure stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sky Below.

July 15, 2017 – Shelved