Lindsey (Design Me Write)'s Reviews > Our Dark Duet

Our Dark Duet by Victoria Schwab

bookshelves: 2017-reads, 5-star-reads, my-library

** spoiler alert ** HOW DO YOU WRITE A REVIEW FOR A BOOK LIKE THIS?!? I mean, seriously. It was just…breathtaking. Beautiful. Dark. PERFECTION. That’s right, this book was perfection in my eyes. I said it. COME AT ME. I read it in a 24 hour period. It made me feel EVERYTHING. I ugly cried 30 minutes after finishing it. I couldn’t help it. I was unconsolable. It was beautiful and perfect and painful. (Also, major spoilers. Because I can’t talk about this book without them. You’ve been doubly warned.)

Let’s start with what I didn’t like. NOTHING. Okay, moving on.

THE CHARACTERS WERE FLAWLESS. Kate’s arc was amazing. Her death was the most tragic, perfect way for her character to end. I mean, I didn’t want her to die. Her death hurt. But she came so far as a character. She truly grew into herself and accepted the life she had. Kate didn’t sit around and mope because her father wanted to kill her. Nope. She went out and got stronger. She even let people in. And let’s be honest, she’s the reason August didn’t go full on Leo. She accepted full responsibility for what she’d done when she was ready to take on Alice (evil, evil Alice), even if it meant she might not live. Her goal was to save Verity no matter what. She gave up a life full of monster hunting and friends in order to save the city who wanted her dead. She literally gave her life. It was tragic. It was beautiful. I love her so much.

My poor baby August. So lost in the beginning. I wanted to slap in repeatedly until he stopped acting like an idiot. I mean, I know he was under pressure and all, but I did NOT want him turning into Leo jr. Nope. And he didn’t. Because of Kate. She totally called him out on his crap. To quote it loosely, “I’m fighting this monster that made it’s way into my head and is driving me crazy, so get your crap together and start fighting yours. Living hurts. GET OVER IT AND FIGHT.” August really grew into himself in this book. That finally scene with him and Kate? TEAR CENTRAL. My goodness. “Do souls stay with you?” AND THEN HE COULD ONLY SAY IDK. AHHHHHH. I’m going to believe they do. Totally do. August truly sacrificed for the city as well. He was willing to be the monster he thought they needed. I’m glad he found a better way to do it than Leo.

Then there are the themes this book continues to delve into. What makes a human, can we find forgiveness and be able to change, how do people live on after they’re dead, consequences to all our actions, AND SO MUCH MORE. It wasn’t shoved down your throat either. It was just there. Their situations made you think.

AND SCHWAB WROTE IN VERSE. Oh my goodness. Her use of verse was gorgeous. I squealed with joy when she started it. Such a great choice. And she crushed it.

Basically I could go on and on and on about this book. I’ll probably read it again and again because I like pain. And the beauty. It was perfection. I’m just going to go cry in a corner because this review opened up the wounds. Kbyyeee.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Dark Duet.

July 15, 2017 – Started Reading
July 15, 2017 – Shelved
July 15, 2017 –
page 42
8.24% ""Once upon a time, the first image in her head would have been the house beyond the Waste, with its high grass and its wide-open sky. Now it was the woods behind Colton, an apple in her hand and birdsong overhead, and a boy who wasn't a boy with his back against a tree""
page 178
34.9% ""We're just trying to keep you safe!"
Kate cocked her head. "Haven't you heard?" she said, shifting the car into hear. "There's no such thing." She gunned the engine and the car shot forward into the Waste. "Not anymore.""
page 268
52.55% "AUGUST 😭😭😭"
page 307
page 330
64.71% ""You might not want to fight your monsters, August. But I'm fighting mine.""
page 406
79.61% "Not that I've really been able to put this book down all day, but now I'm at the point where I'm not going to sleep until it's done 😅👊🏻"
July 16, 2017 – Finished Reading