Valentina Heart's Reviews > Room at the Top

Room at the Top by Jane Davitt

Sep 07, 2011

bookshelves: glbt-bdsm, glbt, m-m-m, the-romance-reviews
Read on September 18, 2011

This review was originally written for The Romance Reviews and can also be found there.

When in need of a good BDSM story cut with sweetness and served as a three-way relationship, you should look in the direction of this book. Adorable subs in need of a firm hand could make even the toughest of hearts stutter, but a good top just sets the beat straight again.

Jay and Austin are two submissive men in a relationship. They love each other deeply and they know that will never change. Unfortunately, their needs are not fully met as their yearning for punishment and balance is too strong to simply go away. Their previous arrangement with Patrick, a stable dominant fell through when the man moved away and the rising frustration during the following months just didn't make things easier.

Liam came in as a recommendation from Patrick. He is a straight divorced man with plenty of arrogance and a sexy accent who seemed like the right choice. But does the right choice also mean all rules imposed by Jay and Austin can stay the same?

I ended up thinking my rating over for some time after I finished this book. Considering some parts and figuring out if others could have been written differently. So my final rating isn't something I just stuck up there based on mild fondness.

This is a slow pacing book. There is no action and rush. Every detail is explained and every action thought through. The characters had their voice, their personalities were distinguishable and very powerful. From the very beginning I was carefully guided into their world. First into the relationships of Jay and Austin—their needs, wants, desires as well as their habits and quirks were made so a part of them they almost felt real to me. Later on, when Liam came into the picture, his dominance was so powerful I could see why the two subs needed him. The gradual progression from getting to know each other to pushing the limits almost made it seem like a movie and contributed tremendously to the story.

The book is filled with their scenes which can't be considered hard, but were very enjoyable. I loved to see them squirm and just snap into that state of mind where they felt safe and the different points of view made every man completely involved into the story.

The character of Austin's sister, April, was the only disruptive element of a nicely moving story. Her attitude and general personality were just ugly and even though she does end up being apologetic by the end of the book, that part was not as well worked through to make it believable. In addition to that, my biggest objection was one point at the end where a type of unnecessary conflict was placed. I truly felt as if someone grabbed me by my shirt, slapped me a couple of times and then put me back down, and expected the wonderful relaxed mood I was in before that moment to continue. It did eventually, but that took time and there were just not enough pages left to the story.

The feeling I got while I was reading made me realize I had to rate this book with five stars. I enjoyed it immensely and as such I recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Room at the Top.

Adara I completely agree with the comment that April's part didn't feel completely worked through and believable.