Sara-elizabeth Cottrell's Reviews > Movie for Dogs

Movie for Dogs by Lois Duncan

U 50x66

it was ok

** spoiler alert ** This review comes from a 30-something mom of an 8-year-old girl who reads at a 6th-ish grade level.
My whole family listened to this book as an audiobook on a road trip. The plot is cute and certainly convoluted enough to sustain interest. The character of great-Aunt Alice is particularly well-developed and endearing: age + spunk, really well done. The book had a lot of potential. BUT: the author had to fall into the infuriating cultural drivel that infiltrates far too many of our juvenile fiction books. I get that Andi's brother and his friend Kristy are in middle school. But the whole mess about someone's cousin saying she was hot stuff, and maybe if she sent [texted] him her picture she could get him to do something - the author inspired us to have an intense conversation on whom you send pictures to and whom you never send pictures to and why it's a horrible idea. Because you see, Duncan didn't go into why it was a horrible idea. And if we hadn't been listening as a family I wouldn't have been known I needed to have the conversation about it just then.
Another fury-inspiring scene: when Jerry tells Bruce that Andi is a "fat nerd." First, at that point, when the boy isn't responding to any sort of logic, I want to know where my son's fists are, because a bully like that deserves to know that it hurts to be a bully. But that reaction aside, Bruce can barely get a verbal response together. His anger mutes him so Andi mostly has to take care of herself. But in the exchange, he takes a look at his sister and realizes that though she was on the "pudgy" side last year, she's changed this year. And though she's NOT AS SLENDER as [some other girl], she DOESN'T LOOK BAD, in fact, she looks pretty good. Ms. Duncan, this disgusts me. As a mother of two girls whose value will NEVER have anything to do with whether they're quite AS SLENDER AS the next girl, I'm disgusted that a *woman* would write such a scene. I was an overweight teenager, and I remember comments like this hammering home the idea that no boy would ever like me, that I'd never be attractive unless I could be *slender,* that I'd better just get used to myself because no one was going to want to marry me. Appalling. I'd expect better from a seasoned female author. Shame on you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Movie for Dogs.

Finished Reading