Roxanne's Reviews > Welcome to Night Vale

Welcome to Night Vale by Joseph Fink

811936
Jul 15, 2017

Welcome to Night Vale, a novel, is a little story about Jackie and Diane. These non-friends become friends as they unravel the riddle of a mysterious man who appears in guises all over town. The town, of course, is Night Vale, a place where reality doesn’t align exactly with the reality of the rest of the world.

The book is based on the popular Welcome to Night Vale podcast, which is presented as a radio show for a fictional town where all conspiracy theories are real. While the book mentions the radio show, it reads like the novel it is—and like its parent podcast, it makes poignant and irreverent references to everyday life.

Here are my favorite lines from the book:

Jackie: They shook hands. Her hand continued to shake after he let go.

Diane: She had sold a tear to Jackie that day. It had felt good to have someone explicitly value something that she did.

Wrapping your head around Welcome to Night Vale is like having an ice cream headache. It hurts, but it doesn’t stop you from eating the ice cream. I heartily recommend this book to anyone who enjoys conspiracy theories or invisible pie, which I do, although I don’t like the texture.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Welcome to Night Vale.

July 14, 2017 – Started Reading