Jianne's Reviews > The Throne of Fire

The Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan

Sep 07, 2011

bookshelves: class-library, fangirl-for
Read from September 15 to 22, 2011

The Throne of Fire is the second book in The Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan, which tells of the adventures of modern day fourteen-year-old Carter Kane and his thirteen-year-old sister Sadie Kane, as they discover that they are descended from the ancient Egyptian pharaohs Narmer and Ramesses the Great.

To be honest, I enjoyed this book more than its predecessor, The Red Pyramid. And I just enjoyed the story more and the humor. But unfortunately, its still not as good as the Percy Jackson and the Olympians so I still would have to give it four stars.

Ever since the gods of Ancient Egypt were unleashed in the modern world, Carter Kane and his sister Sadie have been in trouble. As descendants of the House of Life, the Kanes have some powers at their command, but the devious gods have not given them much time to master their skills at Brooklyn House, which has become a training ground for young magicians. The other branches of the House of Life are hunting the Kanes down once they left the safety of their branch, the Brooklyn House. And now their most threatening enemy yet—the chaos snake Apophis—is rising. If they do not prevent him from breaking free in a few days' time, the world will come to an end.

One of the major reasons why I liked the Percy Jackson series or the Heroes of Olympus series more is probably because I could connect more with Greek mythology rather than Egyptian mythology. I'm more familiar with Greek myths so its not hard for me to place certain character but when it comes to Egyptian myths, I go blank. I do know who's Ra and Isis. I probably have heard of Horus as well but I have no idea how they look like and what god or goddess they are of and it was hard of me to connect with them. There comes a time when I'm just completely confused this happened a lot in The Red Pyramid, but in The Throne of Fire I was starting to get the hang of it. Hieroglyphs are cool and they look cool but well they also get me confuse a lot of times, I can get the hang of Latin more. But its interesting to see magicians with magics and spells rather than just with weapons. This book is definitely violence-free!

Now, let's get it on with the characters. I love all of them! Sadie and Carter has that sense of humor that I'd love to listen to, and their sibling rivalry which is sweet and bitter at the same time is so fun to read! Oh my, how it reminds me of my brother and me! I'm glad that finally Sadie gets to grow up and starts thinking maturely, not to mention how to handle problems. And as for Carter, though I was kind of annoyed that he is so "into" Zia (which is also the same of Sadie being into Anubis), I admired his character, being that protective brother and all. And Bes, which is a new character here, though sometimes corny but enjoyable to read too. Walt! Oh Walt! You make me so dreamy!

Like all goofy!

IMO, this book has more mysteries and more things to guess. Moreover, more things that are happening. I enjoyed the fighting scenes, the bitter-sweet brother-sister scenes, the romantic scenes, the OMG revelations, the dramatic scenes and even the heroic scenes. This book is definitly more exciting love triangle between Walt, Sadie and Anubis, that's definitely something to watch out for. And that "Weasels are sick" and "I want Zebras" that is repeatedly mentioned really go me into thinking, and Zia's true role is also something to think about. Moreover, I really like how Rick Riordan portray different god or goddess in this book, its just so surreal(in a good way)!

Overall, The Throne of Fire is a must read especially if you are fans of Rick Riordan's works. I love the humor, the hilariousness of the book and all the exciting Egyptian myths that Rick Riordan has in store for me! Definitely a edge-of-yourseat book and very kid-friendly as well! I can't wait for the next book! Whoohoo!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Throne of Fire.

09/16/2011 page 224
50.0% "Wow. I can't put it down now that the good parts are here! :D"
07/12/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Ray (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ray PJO is way better :) Glad to know there's another Greek myth nerd out there ;)

Jianne I agree. :) And yeah, I'm a big Greek nerd. :D

message 3: by Von (new) - rated it 5 stars

Von Angelo I hate to disagree, but actually I do. W/ all due respect to the PJO series, I think Rick has forgot connect PJO with the true essence of Greek Mythology: Greece. PJO is great and I'm not comparing anything.