Helen's Reviews > The Color Purple

The Color Purple by Alice Walker

bookshelves: feminist, diversity, reviewed

I don't even know how to start reviewing this, but I will say that it's heartbreaking, eye opening, harrowing and uplifting. I've never actually cried reading a book before, but I came closer at the end of this than I ever have before.

Books on lists of classics, or those lists of 100 books you must read, are books that I normally stay away from. I expect them to be dry, preachy, pretentious, or all three and generally just dull. But this, this book deserves its place on all of those lists.

Alice Walker is a skilled story teller, and The Colour Purple is accessible and interesting. It works first and foremost as a story about a poor black woman living in deep south America in the 1930's. Celie narrates her life through journal entries and letters, a literary device that I've rarely seen done well but here it works brilliantly to bring her world to life for us.

In this world, the book uncovers issues of race, misogyny, religion and feminism. It manages not to beat us over the head, or preach to us, but just shows us that they are there and how they affect people's lives. In this subtle way, we can't ignore them because they are a vital part of Celie's story.

It's sad to think that these issues are just as relevant today as they were in the 30's. These prejudices haven't gone away, not even here in the UK where we like to think we're more tolerant than the Americans. They are just as internalised as they ever were, but, until recently anyway, better hidden.

My favourite thing about this book is the women working together to support and help each other.

I recommend this to everyone. It's an interesting story, and while it's hard to read at first it has an uplifting ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Color Purple.

Quotes Helen Liked

Alice Walker
“Man corrupt everything, say Shug. He on your box of grits, in your head, and all over the radio. He try to make you think he everywhere. Soon as you think he everywhere, you think he God. But he ain't. Whenever you trying to pray, and man plop himself on the other end of it, tell him to git lost, say Shug. Conjure up the flowers, wind, water, a big rock.”

Alice Walker
“Tea to the English is really a picnic indoors.”
tags: tea

Alice Walker
“I'm pore, I'm black, I may be ugly and can't cook, a voice say to everything listening. But I'm here.”

Alice Walker
“Who am I to tell her who to love? My job just to love her good and true myself. P. 237”

July 14, 2017 – Shelved