Thomas's Reviews > The Dark Dark

The Dark Dark by Samantha Hunt

2018505

liked it
bookshelves: short-stories-for-fun, adult-fiction, fantasy

A fascinating and sometimes disturbing collection of short stories. Samantha Hunt blends magical realism with more conventional literary form to showcase issues of dangerous desire, technology gone awry, and relationships that reveal secrets both sinister and important. Across these stories runs a theme of dissatisfied suburban women who transform in some way, which lends itself to interesting feminist analysis. I most appreciated how Hunt took her characters into vivid and uncomfortable emotions and experiences, as that set apart her writing from many other works that explore similar topics. I only give The Dark Dark a lower star rating because sometimes I struggled to really connect with its characters. Oftentimes, I looked forward to seeing more depth in them just as their narrative would end, which made the stories as a whole feel incomplete to me. Still, I would recommend this collection to anyone who likes magical realism and wants to feel at least a little unsettled by their next read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Dark.

July 14, 2017 – Shelved