C.G. Drews's Reviews > I Was Born for This

I Was Born for This by Alice Oseman

bookshelves: 4-star, contemporary, young-adult, read-2018

This is honestly just one long mental breakdown and wow if that isn't the most relatable thing. I seriously love Alice Oseman's style of writing! I adore how her books are so focused on love, like this seriously deep and consuming and complex love that isn't necessarily romantic. Radio Silence is definitely an all-time favourite ahhhh.

This didn't quite live up to RS for me, just because I'm not super into boybands and fandoms that intensely. Like there aren't any fandoms I worship so much??? I used to but idk. I'm tiiiired. But I still enjoyed how this was a discussion on how fandoms CAN be awful but also CAN be amazing places of healing and friendship. It totally touches on how fandoms bring people together (the book community has gifted me my closest friends!!) and also has positive and awesome online friendships!! Which I love!! Not everyone you meet online is an axe murderer!! Woo!

OTHER THINGS I LOVED:
☆ the epic female friendships (they were so so good especially in the finale)
☆ the actual beautiful and respectful diversity rep (Jimmy is POC, gay and trans; Angel is POC and Muslim...and possibly queer-questioning) and how diversity WAS a huge part of their identity, but the book wasn't also solely about it...if that makes sense. I loved it so so much.
☆ BEAUTIFUL WRITING
☆ I freaking adore this cover
☆ I really love the ending ahh!!
☆ it totally unpacks anxiety disorders and I really really loved the rep of that
☆ the ending had me sO STRESSED I can't even.

I think Jimmy's chapters were my favourite tbh. He is the smollest and most anxious. (Relatable afjdalsd Jimmy I feel for you.) And his emotional breakdown was so real and brutal on page. I still loved Angel though! She's TOL and talkative and ends up being everybody's designated bodyguard because they can wear her sunnies and hide behind her. Get you a tol friend, ok. They come in handy for shade, bodyguards, and seeing through crowds.

Also shoutout to the secondary characters! Rowan, Jimmy and Lister are the boyband. Rowan is the MUM FRIEND. Lister is the golden retriever excitable puppy. Jimmy is anxiety on legs. I love them so much and their relationships and friendship afjdkasld. (view spoiler)

Also meeting your heroes/idols...it isn't great. Lmao. I so so never want to meet anyone I admire too much. Ahhhh hahah. sob sob.

Although I admit I can't image being SO involved in a fandom that you'd literally cry if your ship of two people (yOU DON'T EVEN KNOW???) broke up or was fake or whatever. People are weird lmao. I know this happens but I just caaaaan't relate.

Overall?! I liked this one a LOT. It gave me a ton of emotional feels with the anxiety rep and just afjdksald it felt real, it felt stunningly raw, and it was sweet as well as dark. Definitely the kind of contemporary I fully love. 😭💛

In an otherwise mediocre existence, we choose to feel passion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Was Born for This.

July 14, 2017 – Shelved
July 14, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
August 6, 2018 – Started Reading
August 6, 2018 –
page 150
37.5% "This is super boyband-ish which is sooo not my thing. But I adore this author's writing?! So I'm still enjoying it!"
August 7, 2018 – Shelved as: 4-star
August 7, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary
August 7, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
August 7, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
August 7, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Maria Writes I loved the book😭

C.G. Drews It was so excellent!