Sam's Reviews > The Winnowing

The Winnowing by Vikki VanSickle

bookshelves: i-know-the-author, arc-reviews, books-i-own, arc-august-challenge

Huge thank you to Scholastic Canada for this ARC!

I want to preface this review by saying a couple of truths: I am a wuss who is easily spooked. I love things that can't entirely be explained. The Winnowing is such a departure from VanSickle's previous, more contemporary novels. This is her foray into science fiction, and her love letter to the strange and whimsy.

I will not lie, I was hesitant to read this book even after talking with Vikki at a conference we were both attending. I love her contemporary middle grade novels, I read If I Had a Gyphon during my storytimes, but this book was different. Vastly different. Thankfully, I had prepared myself for this book by watching Stranger Things earlier this year and The Winnowing is an interesting middle grade novel to say the least.

This is a book about a world where children can be born with powers. If unwinnowed, these powers can manifest into something much more dangerous. To be winnowed is a rite of adolescent passage, it's an attempt at normalizing. The problem is that the world Marivic and Saren live in, is one that is anything but. Marivic in particular also holds the key to a larger mystery in the story in regards to her family, the town of Darby and the school her mother worked at which was obliterated. The blurb on the back of the book gives you just enough information, but it's definitely a book that is good going blind into.

What I loved about this book is how unexpected some of the twists and turns were. Some were a little obvious, but I found myself buying into so much of what was happening to these characters,
I was so invested in the atmosphere of the story -- it is creepy and uncomfortable. Marivic and her friends felt very believable, their flaws felt real, and I truly felt for them on this journey. My favourite character in the story was Gumps, Marivic's grandfather. He's everything I love in a curmudgeon-y old man. A grump who is secretly loving and a little overprotective.

With the circumstances that occur in this novel, you see incredible growth in these characters. Every single one of them. The children in this story are all forced to grow up very quickly given the situation regarding the world and the process of the winnowing. In a lot of ways, these kids are robbed of their childhood and that was so heartbreaking. Marivic in particular shoulders a lot of burden in this story and she's forced in a lot of ways to think and act more mature than someone normally her age. This is written very well because you can see she's wrestling with both her circumstances and her actual age and what kids her age should be doing.

There's a lot of weird and strange in The Winnowing. It's the kind of book for people who love the X-Files, Stranger Things, Are You Afraid of the Dark?. While two of the references I've mention date me, I think they are accurate to what one can expect when reading this book. It's weird, mysterious, atmospheric and wondrous. I love seeing authors jump out of their comfort zones with genre, because sometimes an experiment can blossom into something extraordinary.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Winnowing.

July 14, 2017 – Shelved