Kai (Quartzfeather)'s Reviews > Mechanica

Mechanica by Betsy Cornwell

Jul 19, 2017

liked it

I was pretty nervous going into Mechanica. A lot of my Goodreads friends didn't like it very much and I can sorta see why.... The ending isn't the most satisfying and if I hadn't gone into this book already knowing that there would be a sequel I probably would've been more than a little pissed off by its inconclusiveness.... Though, luckily that was not the case and I have a copy of the second book, Venturess, already sitting on my shelf ready to be read.

The magical aspects in Mechanica were awesome, especially the adorable tiny part magic part metal horse (seriously, someone get me a Jules II now)! There's definitely a bit of a steampunkish feel with all the gears and metal, but I would be hesitant to classify this book as such because of the magic.

My favorite thing about Mechanica is that Nick saves herself in this story, there's no fairy godmother in sight.

As for the reasoning by the three stars.... Well first off there's the aforementioned ending probleming, however I suppose it is a series so it's not that big of an issue..... My biggest problem is that I never really felt enthused by the story. I mean I enjoyed it but it just never fully gripped me....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mechanica.

July 14, 2017 – Started Reading