Clint's Reviews > Memories of Ice

Sep 06, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011
Read in September, 2011

Considering how much better Deadhouse Gates was than Gardens of the Moon, I was expecting this to be super awesome. Unfortunately, it brought back too many of the characters from Gardens of the Moons with stupid names, and apparently someone has convinced the author that his English-language puns are really good, which just never ceases to annoy me, considering no one in the book could be speaking English. And, in common with another reviewer, I thought that all the pages dealing with the Mhybe were just so boring. Yeah, it sucks to get old fast, but there's only so much bitching and whining I can take from an old woman. His Erikson's self-conscious feminism is also getting a little old. I get it, the girls are tough, and fight like boys, and the Barghast women like to rape men and it's kind of funny, but when the women are addressed as "sir" in the military, it's kind of funny, but in a bad way. And the last 100 pages or so completely lost me, with all the dreams and soul shifting and ascension and gods coming to life here and there, I'm still not sure exactly went on there.

On the other hand, the battle scenes were just as great as they were in Deadhouse Gates. Normally I'm not interested in military type stuff, but the battles in this book are so fun. It's like watching Braveheart! And the sheer repulsiveness of the Tenescowri and the Dead Seed, the unbelievable evil torture of Toc, Envy and her 3 masked warriors and Tool along with two giant dogs waging war all alone, the final appearance of Moon's Spawn, which I won't give away because it was so unexpected. Not that it finally appears, but how and when it appears. And the epilogue, which directly links back to the most awesome part of Deadhouse gates, which I also will withhold from anyone who hasn't read it yet. In short, dudes you expect to die live or come back to life, and dudes you thought you'd see for ten books are buried at sea.

In all, I would probably have given this book another star if about 100 pages had been cut out, mostly about the Mhybe, and I would have given it five stars if all the attempts at comedy and a little of the drama between some characters was done away with (Korlat and Whiskeyjack, god give me a break). I think Steven Erikson's basic story is turning out to be incredible, and I think that the characters and situations and creatures that fill his books are almost absurdly creative and original. This book just stumbled a little. From what I've read of the next book, House of Chains, it looks like I'm about to jump into something that might be even better than Deadhouse Gates.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memories of Ice.

06/24/2016 marked as: read