J.R.'s Reviews > Thirteen Moons

Apr 20, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: fiction
Read in November, 2007

Thirteen Moons is the stuff of legend. It’s poetic fiction at its grandest, yet totally believable.

Will Cooper, a 12-year-old orphan, is given a horse, a key and a map and is sent off into the wilderness of the Cherokee Nation where he is to run an Indian trading post. A tough job at the time for a seasoned man and one would not expect a mere boy to survive for long. But this is no ordinary boy.

En route, he gets lost, has his horse stolen, runs afoul of strange characters, loses his coat and money and wins a girl named Claire in a card game. Claire, the ward of Featherstone (an enigmatic figure if ever there was one) will figure large in his life in time to come.

Will perseveres. He makes his way to the trading post. An auto-didact, he glories in discovery of a mildewed collection of books he expects to be his only companions for some time.

Gradually, as they get to know one another, Will is adopted by Bear, a Cherokee chief, and his people. Together they forge a strong bond and support one another through trying times. Will eventually becomes a lawyer, a legislator and a wealthy landowner. The major fault I find with the book is why the blazes does Will put up with Claire’s shenanigans?

If you liked Cold Mountain, you’ll love this book. I know I did and I expect I’ll read it more than once.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thirteen Moons.

Jean Claire's shenanigans ! Why look at her history, who she was married to and the events surrounding that "deal "! I would hardly call her reactions to these life circumstances shenanigans !