Jessica Poer's Reviews > A Court of Thorns and Roses

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

I loved the idea of a Beauty and the Beast reimagining, and Sarah definitely delivered! It is a really interesting spin on the classic fairy tale we all know and love— if you don’t love Beauty and the Beast, you’re wrong. Sorry. Right off the bat, I REEEAAALLLYYY wanted to like Feyre, but there was something that just didn’t connect with me. I still can’t put my finger on what that was. Maybe it was her shaky relationship with her family—that’s something that always nags at me. I did get over my dislike of Feyre and came to really enjoy her character. The one character I couldn’t really get behind was the love interest. For me, he was portrayed as too perfect in the main character’s eyes even though he didn’t do much of anything.

I feel like a lot of worldbuilding got left behind in this book to make room for the romance. The world of Prythian is wonderfully imagined and even though it was great, I wanted SO MUCH MORE worldbuilding from the first book. I kept finding myself going back to that giant map with the two islands and the huge continent and thinking, “okay, why is there a ginourmous map when we only go here, here, and here? Three places—that’s it! Why isn’t this map just of the lower half of Prythian?” As a standalone, the worldbuilding doesn’t work so well. But, luckily this is a series, so if you want more of Prythian, keep reading!

I found the first half or so of ACOTAR to be a slow build up that was a really weird contrast to the tense ride during the last part of the book. It's like this switch was flipped and suddenly I was reading a VERY different book. The first book works great as a standalone— the plot of ACOTAR is it’s own beast… ha, see what I did there. That being said, that plot folds in nicely with the expansion of books 2 and 3. I did enjoy this book, but will probably only come back to it to reread the series as a whole. Knowing that there's so much more to come in the other two books are what make this one so enjoyable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Court of Thorns and Roses.

Finished Reading