Rick's Reviews > The Ultimate Game

The Ultimate Game by Sean Austin

Sep 06, 2011

I read this book after my video gaming 10 year-old read it in a few days and recommending it. What I found was a quickly paced, rich narrative centering on two video game-addicted brothers (sons of divorced parents) who run away from home, only to be hunted by a real world version of the game monster they endlessly beat in the online game. They soon realize that they and all the other "game masters" they know are being kidnapped as they race down the west coast to their father's house. The two brothers encounter all kinds of colorful characters during their journey as they are confronted by not only the terrifying creature pursuing them, but various ethical dilemmas associated with their strategy of evasion. I appreciated the interwoven ethical issues (trust, loyalty, social responsibility, military codes of conduct, etc.) which are so often forgotten in the real world of technology innovation.

I won't reveal the second and third acts, but it is ultimately a harrowing, but heartwarming story of survival, persistence and loyalty.

I didn't realize it when I read the novel, but "Echo's Revenge" is a multi-media experience offering endless possibilities for entertainment and exploration of robotics, science and technology. As well as being a scary, thrilling novel and a quick read, the novel's website, http://www.echohunt.com/ , links to external resources which provide real information about how the technologies in the novel are currently being developed in the real world.

There's a lot more at the website, but I'll end this here and just mention the endless links to emerging technology companies related to robotics, game theory, programming and summer programs for future technologists.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ultimate Game.