Mason's Reviews > Meditations on the Tarot: A Journey into Christian Hermeticism

Meditations on the Tarot by Anonymous

69419725

Had picked up this book as a guilty pleasure of sorts, wanting to learn a little about Tarot cards. Instead I ended up with a text about esoteric theology and philosophy. Well, alright, not what I thought I was getting into, but I figured I ought to follow where I was being led and see what came of it. By the end of the first chapter, "The Magician," I was fairly satisfied with that decision and curious to read more.

Now, each card is presented as a teaching tool of sorts for a particular set of ideas, and the anonymous author seems to harness the imagery to make his points quite convincingly. Beginning from a background in Western European thought, he quickly expands his pool of reference to include comparative religious studies from a variety of cultures worldwide, and seems to find a broad understanding attempting to accommodate all of them. If you can imagine Joseph Campbell putting together a theological treatise on Jungian archetypes, that's basically what's being done here.

Not a perfect work by any means, but considering the ambitious scope I'd say it's fairly successful in setting out a compelling school of interpretation, not only of these cards, but also of ourselves and the world around us. The influence of the great C.G. Jung is strong here, unsurprisingly, but I also enjoyed seeing the work of such disparate and eccentric thinkers as Henri Bergson, Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, Eliphas Levi, Rudolph Steiner, and St. John of the Cross brought together in one place. My main recommendation once you put down the book would be to look further into the works of Bergson, as he ended up being quite the influential figure for certain Continental philosophers (especially my all-time favorite, Gilles Deleuze).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Meditations on the Tarot.

July 13, 2017 – Started Reading