Mariana's Reviews > The Feast of the Goat

The Feast of the Goat by Mario Vargas Llosa

Sep 06, 2011

This book has made me want to learn more from my parents about what it meant to be born and live through the Trujillo era. What it meant to my family and what was really going on during that time. I have heard some stories from my father, but now the context of understanding has broadened... this book has illustrated to me the pain of a nation and it's impact on individual lives.

It has also made me think of the depraved regimes that exist today and how complicit we are in our inactivity... why so many men of power choose their greedy and sadistic lives, and so many choose to do nothing.

The Feast of the Goat, highlights the story of the era of Trujillo in a way that makes you see history as real and not just text in a book. Although fictionalized, it brings home, the vast pain of a nation; but also, how blind and apathetic a people can be. It breaks my heart to see that so many innocent people are made to pay for the choices of the few.

I would like think my choices would be different given the same set of circumstances, but then, I was born a different person, in a different era.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Feast of the Goat.

September 6, 2011 – Started Reading
September 6, 2011 – Shelved
September 7, 2011 –
20.0% "Not having much reading time... but it's very engrossing when I am reading."
September 8, 2011 –
September 9, 2011 –
97.0% "This book is an eye opener... will definitely lead to conversations with my father."
September 9, 2011 – Finished Reading