Chelsea Humphrey's Reviews > Little Monsters

Little Monsters by Kara Thomas

47207032

bookshelves: from-publisher

I’m such a sucker for any novel boasting the comparison of a Pretty Little Liars reading experience; I’m not certain if it’s because I love revisiting the high school scene (albeit only in my mind) or if I just love books filled with drama, but this story had both and I was pleased as punch. Little Monsters is my second read from author Kara Thomas and certainly won’t be my last. I feel there was night and day growth that happened between the two books; this type of advancement between novels is precisely what I’m looking at when I’m searching for new authors to put on my crowded “Must Read” list. For those readers who aren’t fans of dramatic YA novels that are unrealistic, this is probably not for you. The story here is highly fictional in many ways, but honestly I felt that is what made the book so delicious!

*TIP TOE TIP TOE* <— Me, trying to avoid spoilers and any specific plot points in this review. Seriously though, this book is a minefield of twists and turns; I can sincerely say that I didn’t have most of it figured out. I had a few half-baked guesses, but over all I was completely surprised by the who-what-where-when-why. It’s really hard to find mysteries and thrillers now that render me wholly dumbfounded, but this one did it, and let me tell you why… This is a read where you don’t get all of the information up front. You are lead to believe one thing here and then later on it is revealed that this is what was really going on. I know this frustrates some readers, as they like to have all the clues and solve the mystery themselves, therefore feeling frustrated and cheated when information is withheld. If you can let go of the need to control the story and just go along with the flow here, you will fain immense pleasure from being duped with this style of storytelling. Heck, I’m starting to think this might be the only way I can gain that overwhelming, Gone Girl type shock anymore, AND I LOVE IT. So, that’s really all you need to know about this story. Go in blind.

I know I’ve beat the dead horse, but if you enjoy books containing dark, high school drama, PLEASE don’t pass this book over. I read the entire thing in a single sitting; it was so entirely compulsive I couldn’t put it down. This was a “my kids were screaming in the car while headed home from vacation so I just put in some ear plugs and kept reading because WE MUST KNOW WHAT HAPPENS” type of book. Highly, HIGHLY recommended to fans of PLL who want a story with a similar feel without the decade long series commitment. Can I get an amen? I can’t wait to discuss this book with other readers because, um, that ending? Yeah. :)

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my copy; it was a pleasure to provide my honest thoughts here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Monsters.

July 13, 2017 – Shelved
July 23, 2017 – Started Reading
July 24, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)

message 1: by Valerie (new) - added it

Valerie Oh I can't wait to see your review! This book is at the top of my list, I hope it lives up to the hype!

Chelsea Humphrey Valerie wrote: "Oh I can't wait to see your review! This book is at the top of my list, I hope it lives up to the hype!"

Hooray! So glad to hear it!

Shannon I'm looking out for your review too. Definitely interested in this one!

Chelsea Humphrey Shannon wrote: "I'm looking out for your review too. Definitely interested in this one!"

Thanks shannon!

Chelsea Humphrey Amber (JewellReads) wrote: "This book was SO good !"

So glad to hear it!

Laura So happy you enjoyed this one too! Looking forward to your review :)

Chelsea Humphrey Thanks Laura! I may have to send you a DM about this one 🙈😂

Lisa Jordan I keep putting it in and taking it out of my book depository cart. Looks like I should just bite the bullet. 😬

Chelsea Humphrey I think you'll love it Lisa!

message 11: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Jordan Will have to hide it from my teen daughter if I want to read it first 😂

Chelsea Humphrey BAHAHAHA I love it! 😂😂😂

Brie ♡•• Oooh this sounds really good. I am so ready for this 😁😁😁 I was so sad when PLL ended

Chelsea Humphrey You will LOVE this! It was like getting all the PLL feels without the decade long series commitment 😂

Shannon I was a huge PLL fan! But I didn't watch the last season lol 7 long years. I'm thinking I'll check this one out. I'm in a bad book funk 🙄

Chelsea Humphrey Oh Shannon I hope this one gets you out of your funk! I read it in one sitting and it completely grabbed me!

Shannon Glad to hear!!! I'm definitely interested.

message 18: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley Kellat I am the same way! Anything that mentions PLL usually grabs my attention!

Brie ♡•• I cant wait XD

message 20: by Deanna (new)

Deanna I'm looking forward to this one too, Chelsea. I'm sure my daughter is going to try and steal it from me as she LOVES PLL.

Looking forward to your full review!

Chelsea Humphrey Ladies it's so good! I didn't even have it all figured out like I usually do! 😂

Jamie beauty_andthebook_ AMEN. I rarely quit on TV but after probably season 5 I was done with PLL 😂😂😂😂. Obviously, I need to read this!

Chelsea Humphrey Jamie wrote: "AMEN. I rarely quit on TV but after probably season 5 I was done with PLL 😂😂😂😂. Obviously, I need to read this!"

I did the exact same thing Jamie! 😂

Narelle Vaughan Chelsea I read this book after reading your review - LOVE LOVE LOVED IT ! Thank you

Chelsea Humphrey Narelle wrote: "Chelsea I read this book after reading your review - LOVE LOVE LOVED IT ! Thank you"

Yay!!! I'm so happy to hear that! ❤️❤️❤️

message 26: by Crumb (new)

Crumb Chelsea, I think I told you that I love PLL also. Do you I would like this book?

Chelsea Humphrey Crumb wrote: "Chelsea, I think I told you that I love PLL also. Do you I would like this book?"

I think you would! ❤️

message 28: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley Do you think it’d be appropriate for a 13 yr old? Have the book but haven’t read it yet.