Randy Vollrath's Reviews > Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology

Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology by Ayn Rand

38720118

Very helpful for clarifying thinking. This book has the important discussion about concepts--how we form them (and continue to expand concepts as we learn more about them), what role they play in our thinking, and discusses how concepts are on a hierarchy (ie: Furniture is a concept, and beneath that concept would be the concept of "table" and "chair"). Many other important concepts like measurement in regards to differentiating one concept from another; measurement omission in regards to distinguishing one particular entity of a concept from another particular entity of the same concept (ex: my parents have a king sized bed, while I have a twin size bed. Both fall under the concept of bed, measurement-omitted. Beds come in all sorts of shapes, sizes, colors, weights, etc. and are still considered beds as long as they fit the definition of bed). A definition consists of two aspects: a genus and a differentia. The genus is the concept it can be found within (the genus of table is furniture) while the differentia is what makes it different from other examples of the genus (the genus and differentia of table might be "furniture you put stuff on").

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology.

July 13, 2017 – Started Reading